Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Cleon

Legend
I'll agree to dropping amphibious. If you want to put in a rumor about developing amphibious traits, I'd go for that but only in the description (not mechanics).

Let's cut blindsight and give it blindsense. That would be useful for a bottom feeder, I'd think.

Agreed.

Do we keep the original cetacean's 120 ft. range and racial bonuses to Listen and Spot?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Let's make these somehow more primitive. I feel like a 60 ft range would be sufficient. I'd probably cut the Spot bonus and I guess the Listen one also, given that it's got blindsense, but you could convince me otherwise.

Cleon

Legend
Let's make these somehow more primitive. I feel like a 60 ft range would be sufficient. I'd probably cut the Spot bonus and I guess the Listen one also, given that it's got blindsense, but you could convince me otherwise.

So just give it the standard racial skill bumf for having a Swim speed and leave it at that?

I can live with that, but I think I'd rather give it some kind of Hide bonus.

The CC conversion of the Mastodonsaurus has a racial bonus to Hide plus the "lie submerged" trick, so I think we ought to give our beastie the same.

Mastodonsaurus said:
*A mastodonsaurus gains a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks when in the water. Further, a mastodonsaurus can lie in the water with only its eyes and nostrils showing, gaining a +10 cover bonus on Hide checks.

Actually, the Hook Island Monster was partly buried in sand, so I think we ought to let the Yellow Belly do the same. We can borrow the text from the Sea Bat:

Sea Bat said:
*When it is lying still along the seafloor, a sea bat has a +12 racial bonus on Hide checks. Further, a sea bat can bury itself in silt or mud with only its eyes showing, gaining a +10 cover bonus on Hide checks.

freyar

The Mastodonsaurus and Sea Bat both have that cover bonus. Anyway, I like this idea. Want to go with the racial Hide bonus in the water or a bigger one when lying on the seafloor? I think I'd pick the latter, like the Sea Bat.

Cleon

Legend
The Mastodonsaurus and Sea Bat both have that cover bonus. Anyway, I like this idea. Want to go with the racial Hide bonus in the water or a bigger one when lying on the seafloor? I think I'd pick the latter, like the Sea Bat.

I was proposing the "lying on seafloor" version, so that's fine by me.

Cleon

Legend
OK, are we ready to deal with feats?

Updating the Yellow Belly Working Draft.

We are still cutting the whale's Listen & Spot bonus aren't we?

As for the feats, the Whale has Alertness, Diehard, Endurance, Improved Natural Attack (bite), Toughness. I think we can do without the Improved Natural Attack (bite) and Toughness feats, but might as well keep the others. That leaves four. Any preferences?

freyar

Yes --- I said

Agreed on the feats. There aren't a lot that really match the low-Int primitive vibe of these, but maybe Iron Will, Blind Fight, and Weapon Focus (bite) would work. I don't have any thoughts about the last one.

Cleon

Legend
Yes --- I said

So are you still wanting to reduce the Blindsense range?

Agreed on the feats. There aren't a lot that really match the low-Int primitive vibe of these, but maybe Iron Will, Blind Fight, and Weapon Focus (bite) would work. I don't have any thoughts about the last one.

Maybe Stealth and/or Skill Focus (Hide) to add to its ambush ability?

I feel a +21 bite attack is high enough, so would be OK dropping Weapon Focus (bite). If you want an attack-boosting feat we could always go for Improved Critical.

What about the Swallow damage and Vortex range questions?

Remove ads