Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Oh, we need the save DC X=22 and damage Y=2d6+8?? for Spiny Defense.

Tactics: A con rit attacks by instinct, biting anything that seems like a meal. They rely on their spines as a primary deterrent against attacks, but enraged con rits also trash wildly, using their spines as potent natural weapons.

How's that?

Cleon

Legend
Oh, we need the save DC X=22 and damage Y=2d6+8?? for Spiny Defense.

I'd rather the damage either be 3d6+6 or 3d6+12.

Tactics: A con rit attacks by instinct, biting anything that seems like a meal. They rely on their spines as a primary deterrent against attacks, but enraged con rits also trash wildly, using their spines as potent natural weapons.

How's that?

The second sentence seems a bit longer than it needs to be.

I'm not feeling very creative at the moment, so a proper criticism will have to wait for later.

Cleon

Legend
Haha :D , or you could just use it. ;)

Nah, you know how I like to fiddle with wording.

How about:

Con rit attack by biting, instinctively trying to seize prey with their venomous fangs. They thrash out with their spines if they have to defend themselves while their jaws are occupied.

What about the spiny damage question? I'd go for 3d6+12 myself.

freyar

I missed your counterproposal for the spiny defense damage. 3d6+12 (like Impale) works.

Your wording is fine by me!

freyar

So we're down to description and flavor. You're the cryptozoology expert around here, so I should probably leave that to you.

Cleon

Legend
So we're down to description and flavor. You're the cryptozoology expert around here, so I should probably leave that to you.

If by "cryptozoology expert" you mean "someone who spent 15 minutes looking the monster up online" I'll agree with you. :p

How about this?:

An enormous centipede-like swimming creature formed from a line of hexagonal segments. Each segment sports a pair of fin-like legs, one on each side, that end in sharp spikes. The last segment has two flexible spines that trail behind it like tails, while the head has a pair of black beady eyes, a cluster of feelers and sharp jaws at its tip. The creature is dark brown, with a yellow underside.

The con rit, or great sea centipede, is an aquatic relative of the monstrous centipede, just as its appearance suggests. They occasionally surface near tropical coastlines, but spend most of their lives in the depths of the ocean floor. The hard carapace casing a con rit's body sounds metallic when struck, and some sea dwelling races fashion it into tools or armor.

An average sized con rit is about 60 feet long, with each body segment being roughly 2 feet long and a yard wide, not including its 2½ foot long legs. A reported sighting of a 150 foot long sea centipede suggests these creatures can grow to monstrous size.

freyar

Hey, at least you took the 15 minutes... :p But you've always seemed to have a lot of interest in and knowledge of cryptids.

Looks pretty good! I'd say it's done after that!

Remove ads