Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Sure. The many-finned version is statistically done after that, I think, though it probably should have a separate description.

Tactics for the many-humped: These sea serpents bite their prey but flee when significantly injured, diving long and deep to avoid their opponents.

Cleon

Legend
The many-finned version is statistically done after that, I think, though it probably should have a separate description.

Yup, I was planning on giving the many-finned a separate bit of background & description.

Updating Many-Humped Sea Serpent Working Draft.

Tactics for the many-humped: These sea serpents bite their prey but flee when significantly injured, diving long and deep to avoid their opponents.

I'd rather "dive long and deep" be its default response to being attacked, with it biting opponents if that doesn't work.

freyar

Seems like it depends on whether it's a "grazer" like the baleen whale or a predator. They seem a bit more frightening as sea serpents if they might mistake a small boat for some type of prey.

Cleon

Legend
Seems like it depends on whether it's a "grazer" like the baleen whale or a predator. They seem a bit more frightening as sea serpents if they might mistake a small boat for some type of prey.

Yeah, well we could just leave it vaguer. How about...

These sea-serpents attack by biting. If they feel their lives are threatened they flee their opponents, diving long and deep to avoid pursuit.

Cleon

Legend
Works for me. Do you feel the need for anything separate for the many-finned version?

I'm thinking they'd be more likely to bite or lash out with their spikes if threatened. They're a lot slower than their humpy cousin, so would find it hard to outrun an attacker.

freyar

These sea-serpents attack by biting. If they feel their lives are threatened, they lash out, impaling foes on their spikes. ???

Remove ads