Converting Greyhawk monsters

Cleon

Legend
Shouldn't the underbar have Ps rather than Sp abilities? But I generally agree with 3/day and at will, yes.

Oh dang it, I forgot to change is when I copy-pasted the "Spell-Like Abilities". It'll get fixed with the next update.

The poison you have looks about right, but it may be a bit weak. The wyvern has 2d6 Con for initial and secondary damage, and the monarch scorpion seems just as poisonous from the original text. I'd at least bump to 1d8 Con/1d8 Con.

I'd be fine with 2d6/2d6 if you like.

On second thoughts, shall we give the "Master" version a more damaging poision?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yeah, the master might as well have a nastier poison. :devil:

Shouldn't the psi-like abilities be listed under the normal monarchs, as well? At least some of them, anyway.

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, the master might as well have a nastier poison. :devil:

Agreed, we can argue as to how much nastier when we get around to statting the Master Scorpion.

Updating Monarch Scorpion Working Draft.

Shouldn't the psi-like abilities be listed under the normal monarchs, as well? At least some of them, anyway.

Eh? The listed psi-like abilities are for the normal monarch.

Would you rather I moved the "Psionic Monarch Scorpions" bit to above the Master's statblock and have a separate "Psionic Master Scorpions" entry?

Anyhow, we need to decide how we'll divide the psi-like powers between At-Will and Daily uses.

How about:

At-Will: greater concealing amorpha, detect hostile intent, detect psionics, personal mind blank, psychic vampire
X/Day: catapsi, psionic dominate, psionic blast, ultrablast.

Hmm... psionic blast and ultrablast are pretty potent, I'm thinking those ought to be switched to 1/day.

At-Will: greater concealing amorpha, detect hostile intent, detect psionics, personal mind blank, psychic vampire.
3/Day: catapsi, psionic dominate.
1/Day: psionic blast, ultrablast.

Cleon

Legend
By the way, I don't like that it has a weak Will save.

Would you be game to give it an ability that improves its Will save to strong?

Either by giving it all good saves (like the "Dire" trait") or by giving it good Fort and Will saves instead of the magical beast standard of good Fort and Dex saves.

I kind of like the latter option better, since Monstrous Scorpions only have good Fort, but I don't much mind either way.

freyar

Eh? The listed psi-like abilities are for the normal monarch.

Would you rather I moved the "Psionic Monarch Scorpions" bit to above the Master's statblock and have a separate "Psionic Master Scorpions" entry?
Oh, yeah, I think I misread that because the underbar is under the Master. Should we do these as separate monsters, BTW?

Anyhow, we need to decide how we'll divide the psi-like powers between At-Will and Daily uses.

How about:

At-Will: greater concealing amorpha, detect hostile intent, detect psionics, personal mind blank, psychic vampire
X/Day: catapsi, psionic dominate, psionic blast, ultrablast.

Hmm... psionic blast and ultrablast are pretty potent, I'm thinking those ought to be switched to 1/day.

At-Will: greater concealing amorpha, detect hostile intent, detect psionics, personal mind blank, psychic vampire.
3/Day: catapsi, psionic dominate.
1/Day: psionic blast, ultrablast.

Looks good!

By the way, I don't like that it has a weak Will save.

Would you be game to give it an ability that improves its Will save to strong?

Either by giving it all good saves (like the "Dire" trait") or by giving it good Fort and Will saves instead of the magical beast standard of good Fort and Dex saves.

I kind of like the latter option better, since Monstrous Scorpions only have good Fort, but I don't much mind either way.

I'd just go with Dire, I think. Seems easier.

Cleon

Legend
Oh, yeah, I think I misread that because the underbar is under the Master. Should we do these as separate monsters, BTW?

They don't feel different enough to merit separate write-ups to me.

Looks good!

I'll add it to the next update then. Might as well separate the "Psionic Xs" into two sub-entries for the sake of clarity, then.

I'd just go with Dire, I think. Seems easier.

Agreed.

Updating Monarch Scorpion Working Draft.

freyar

Shall we work out the Sp equivalents for the psionics?
greater concealing amorpha = displacement
detect hostile intent = ?
detect psionics = detect magic
personal mind blank = mind blank (self only) ?

Cleon

Legend
Shall we work out the Sp equivalents for the psionics?
greater concealing amorpha = displacement
detect hostile intent = ?
detect psionics = detect magic
personal mind blank = mind blank (self only) ?

How about:

At-Will:
greater concealing amorpha => invisibility or greater invisibility
detect hostile intent => alarm (mental alarm only)
detect psionics => detect magic
personal mind blank => mind blank (self only)
psychic vampire => vampiric touch

3/Day:
catapsi => spell resistance?
psionic dominate => dominate animal or person (acts as dominate animal OR dominate person)

1/Day:
psionic blast => slow OR confusion
ultrablast => greater shout

Cleon

Legend
How about:

At-Will:
greater concealing amorpha => invisibility or greater invisibility

Upon second thoughts, I think we should change that to regular concealing amorpha and make the SLA equivalent invisibilty, then we can give the Master Scorpion the greater version instead.

freyar

I guess I can go for all those equivalences. I do actually think displacement is a better match to greater concealing amorpha, but the option for the two invisibility spells works very well.

Remove ads