• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like it. I'd choose the "vanish permanently" option. We should also mention that the pilot must wear or wield the replicas at all times; dropping them causes the spiritual equipment to vanish "permanently" as well.

Cleon

Legend
I like it. I'd choose the "vanish permanently" option. We should also mention that the pilot must wear or wield the replicas at all times; dropping them causes the spiritual equipment to vanish "permanently" as well.

Hmm, since the helmsman must "actively wield" the equipment for the juggernaut to benefit from it, it makes sense for the juggernaut to lose an item's benefits if the helmsman stops "wielding" said item.

Come to think of it, shouldn't we change the title of the "pilot" to "helmsman", which is the name used in Jakandor - Island of War?

freyar

Hmm, since the helmsman must "actively wield" the equipment for the juggernaut to benefit from it, it makes sense for the juggernaut to lose an item's benefits if the helmsman stops "wielding" said item.
Yup, that's why I'd like to say that explicitly.
Come to think of it, shouldn't we change the title of the "pilot" to "helmsman", which is the name used in Jakandor - Island of War?
I'd prefer "pilot" in keeping with 3.Xe's shift toward gender-neutral wording.

Cleon

Legend
Yup, that's why I'd like to say that explicitly.

So, shall we change the final paragraph to:

A spiritual equipment item can be attacked physically or magically, but if it is destroyed, stolen or rendered useless, the spiritual item vanishes and reappears sound and undamaged on the juggernaut pilot's next turn (a free action). A spiritual item is affected by dispel magic, a rod of cancellation and the like, but this just causes the item to vanish until the pilot's next turn. However, If one of the original items in the guardian juggernaut's spiritual equipment slots is damaged, the spiritual copy of the item is also damaged to the same degree. A spiritual copy will vanish if the original item is removed from its equipment slot or if the juggernaut pilot loses possession of its replica item; the vanished spiritual copy can only be replaced by re-activating the juggernaut. The wood of the slots protects the original items with hardness 5, which is in addition to any hardness the original item itself may have.

I'd prefer "pilot" in keeping with 3.Xe's shift toward gender-neutral wording.

That's fine by me. There is a gender-neutral version of the title - namely "helm", but to me that's more the post than the person in the post, plus it risks confusing the pilot with a piece of armour.

Cleon

Legend
Upon reflection, I think we should add the following at the end:

Spiritual equipment slots are alternatives to the guardian juggernaut's regular equipment slots, not additions to them; they do not permit the juggernaut to "double up" its equipment. The pilot can not equip a spiritual item if the juggernaut already has a regular item in its location, and a spiritual copy will vanish if the juggernaut equips a regular item in its place. Thus, a pilot can not equip one of a guardian juggernaut's arm slots with a spiritual shield if the construct already has a shield, weapon or other implement in that hand.

freyar

All that works for me.

With that, is the spiritual equipment done? Do we need to specify anything about magic items? What about wands of spells like magic missile (as an example) that fire spells? I'd say they should work (based on my memory of the original text), but do we need to say that explicitly?

Cleon

Legend
All that works for me.

With that, is the spiritual equipment done? Do we need to specify anything about magic items? What about wands of spells like magic missile (as an example) that fire spells? I'd say they should work (based on my memory of the original text), but do we need to say that explicitly?

Yes, the juggernaut can use wands and other magical items. We could address that by changing the last sentence so:

Thus, a pilot can not spiritually equip one of a guardian juggernaut's arm slots with a wand of fireballs if the construct already has a shield, weapon or other implement in that hand.

freyar

That works for me! That bit didn't take as long as I thought it might. Which feature do you want to tackle next?

Cleon

Legend
That works for me! That bit didn't take as long as I thought it might.

Yes, it was a lot easier than I expected too.

Updating the Guardian Juggernaut Working Draft.

I broke one of the longer paragraphs up to make it a bit easier to read, but the text is as we've agreed.

Also, I realize we've got two versions of "vanish" - a temporary vanishing (if the spiritual copy is destroyed but the original item is intact and slotted) and a permanent vanishing (if the original copy is removed or destroyed).

I solved that dilemma by renaming the permanent version to having the spiritual copy "dissolve".

That leaves the question as to whether the "a spiritual copy will vanish if the juggernaut equips a regular item in its place" is a permanent "vanishing", so should be changed to "a spiritual copy will dissolve if the juggernaut equips a regular item in its place".

Which feature do you want to tackle next?

I'd go for the Sweep and Crush special attacks:

The second type of physical attack from a juggernaut is a special attack called a sweep. This attack costs a juggernaut two-thirds of its movement for the round, and it can only be made once per round regardless of the capabilities of the helmsman. To sweep, the juggernaut swings both arms, striking all adjacent creatures except any occupying its rear facing. To perform this attack, the player representing the helmsman makes one attack roll for each of the juggernaut’s arms. Any creature within range who would normally be hit by the roll takes the full damage of a melee attack. A creature occupying the statue’s front facing may take damage from both arms if the player rolls successful hits. The helmsman cannot be selective when sweeping with a juggernaut’s arms; any target in range, friend and foe alike, might be hit.

The third type of physical attack a juggernaut can make is called a crush. On a turn when a juggernaut chooses to crush, it may not move. It spends the entire round stomping on a creature directly in front of it. The juggernaut moves into the space occupied by the opponent and makes an attack roll. If the attack is successful, the victim must make a saving throw vs. death magic or take 5d10 points of damage. (On a successful saving throw, damage is halved.) The player representing the victim then rolls 1d10 and consults the scatter diagram for grenadelike missiles in Chapter 9 of the DUNGEON MASTER Guide. The victim is thrown 5 feet in the direction indicated by the diagram and delivers 1d6 points of damage to any creature standing there. A roll of 1 indicates the victim is trapped beneath the juggernaut and takes an additional 5d10 points of damage each round until the helmsman chooses to have the juggernaut move. If the juggernaut misses its attack roll on a crushing attempt, it remains standing where it is and may take no further actions that round. Juggernauts may not attempt to crush opponents of size L or larger.

Those look pretty straightforward and we have some decent precedents for the attacks.

I'd also be willing to consider giving them the Trample special attack, which seems a natural fit.

Cleon

Legend
I solved that dilemma by renaming the permanent version to having the spiritual copy "dissolve".

That leaves the question as to whether the "a spiritual copy will vanish if the juggernaut equips a regular item in its place" is a permanent "vanishing", so should be changed to "a spiritual copy will dissolve if the juggernaut equips a regular item in its place".

Upon reflection, I prefer "dissipate" to "dissolve", since the later implies a fluid for it to dissolve into. That'd make the change in question "a spiritual copy will dissipate if the juggernaut equips a regular item in its place".

I've updated the Guardian Juggernaut Working Draft with dissipations.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads