Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like it. There's just an errant space: "juggernaut sare" to "juggernauts are" in the first line should do it.

Is that it?

Cleon

Legend
I like it. There's just an errant space: "juggernaut sare" to "juggernauts are" in the first line should do it.

How on earth did I let that slip past me? Oh well, it's easily corrected.

Is that it?

So we're actually done with this conversion? For a while there I thought it'd never end.

Updating the Guardian Juggernaut Working Draft.

I'll just run an eye across it and the individual juggernauts to check for typos but I think we're done.

Assuming I don't find any egregious errors during the final check, of course.

If I'd remembered it was this close I'd have held off doing a Creature Catalog update until I'd added these Juggernauts to it.

Guess I'm doing another one in the near future!

Cleon

Legend
I'll just run an eye across it and the individual juggernauts to check for typos but I think we're done.

Well apart from changing "Sample Guardian Juggernaut" to "Sample Guardian Juggernauts" on account of their being three of them I didn't notice anything obvious.

There was a "labour" (spelled the proper English way :p) which I changed to the US "labor".

I needed to tweak the line spacing a bit - a couple of sections had double line gaps between them which should have been single line gaps and vica-versa. The Board seems to do that occasionally, most often when I insert or edit a table.

I'll do a final check of the individual wooden, stone, wicker and winged juggernauts, but I rechecked them back when we actually finished those conversions, so I'll likely not find much more wrong with them.

Cleon

Legend
I'll do a final check of the individual wooden, stone, wicker and winged juggernauts, but I rechecked them back when we actually finished those conversions, so I'll likely not find much more wrong with them.

Well I found an obvious problem with the individual entries. They all have "guardian juggernaut" in multiple places they oughtn't (i.e. "This special attack allows an enhanced guardian juggernaut" instead of "This special attack allows an enhanced guardian juggernaut"). The Guardian Juggernaut name applies to the template and constructs that it's been applied to, not the base constructs.

Easy enough to fix.

Cleon

Legend
Just realized there's a stray Augmented subtype in the Wolf Morash which it shouldn't have - it isn't another type of creature that's been altered to be a Construct, after all.

It's been removed.

Cleon

Legend
Just realized there's a stray Augmented subtype in the Wolf Morash which it shouldn't have - it isn't another type of creature that's been altered to be a Construct, after all.

It's been removed.

I guess I was thinking it was a humanoid augmented into being a Huge battle-construct, but "Huge Construct (Augmented Humanoid)" doesn't seem right - they're still separate creatures, after all.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yeah, agreed, the template isn't applied to the pilot. Unless you mean that it's an augmented Construct? Since it's a template applied to a construct, that is.

Aside from that question, these should be done. Did you have anything else for this thread?

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, agreed, the template isn't applied to the pilot. Unless you mean that it's an augmented Construct? Since it's a template applied to a construct, that is.

That's not how the "Augmented" Subtype works according to the SRD. Besides, that particular subtype seems to have been forgotten in many later sources - I didn't very often see Vampire NPCs with "Undead (Augmented Humanoid)" as their type in adventures and scenarios.

Which is why I included them in the most recent CC Resource update!

Besides, the writeup says "Guardian Juggernaut" is an acquired template" so it isn't an Augmented template in the first place.

Aside from that question, these should be done.

No, I think they're done.

Which is why I included them in the most recent CC Resource update!

Did you have anything else for this thread?

Let me check my Want List…

Hmm, there's a fair few creatures from Campaign Settings whose original threads got displaced.

I'll post them separately for convenience.

Cleon

Legend
Omitting those from Oriental Adventures, Dragon Magazine, Dungeon Magazine, Polyhedron and White Dwarf I've got the following on my Want List that could be considered Other Campaign Setting Creatures:

Al-Qadim
Desert Giant
Reef Giant

Melnibone
Giant Owl [from Gods, Demigods, Heroes] (not the regular Giant Owl)
Nihrain Horse [from Gods, Demigods, Heroes and Deities & Demigods]

Dragonlance / Computer Game
Huge Bat [from Dark Queen of Krynn] (much bigger and nastier than standard AD&D Huge Bat)

Faerûn
Denizen [from Waterdeep]

Nehwon
Death Coral
Gladiator Lizard

Ravenloft
Sentinel Bat [from Ravenloft Appendix I - Creatures of Dread]
Archer Skeleton [from Ravenloft Appendix III - Creatures of Darkness]

There's a whole bunch of other possibilities, but those are the ones I flagged for attention either because I found them interesting, for the sake of completeness (the Huge Bat is one of the few Dark Queen computer game monsters we didn't convert), or for reasons I have forgotten because it was so long ago.

The Huge Bat and Giant Owl are probably the simplest of the above possibilities, but I'm currently most tempted by the Archer Skeleton.

Last edited:

Remove ads