Converting Al-Qadim creatures

Cleon

Legend
Because that is the impasse. ;)

Find me some precedents for arbitrary deflection bonuses (outside of displacer creatures) and I'm more likely to concede.

That sounds suspiciously like "find me an example of X apart from this example of X".

Well, the Inzeladun conversion of the Hama has an arbitrary +4 deflection bonus.

Our Enworld Air Dragon conversion has a deflection bonus equal to the NA of the original dragon, which seems pretty arbitrary.

Besides, if it's just the type that bothers you, we could just make it an arbitrary circumstance modifier or sacred modifier (or profane for evil hama) with the same AC results.

Number 6

First Post
Too bad we cannot make this a Deathless creature. ;)
That sounds suspiciously like "find me an example of X apart from this example of X".
It does... however, I think he might say physical creatures with displacement might differ from holy creatures (or spiritual creatures).

With those words crammed into Shade, I'm in favor of an arbitrary Deflection bonus for the Hama. An AC of 18 for a 1 Hit Die creature doesn't seem out of place... especially considering it is a spirit. These things need to have some kind of defense against those beastly Ammuts.

I'd actually make the Hama even smaller (perhaps Tiny) which would give it an even better Size bonus to AC... then allow for larger Hamas through Advancement.

Cleon

Legend
Too bad we cannot make this a Deathless creature. ;)

It does... however, I think he might say physical creatures with displacement might differ from holy creatures (or spiritual creatures).

With those words crammed into Shade, I'm in favor of an arbitrary Deflection bonus for the Hama. An AC of 18 for a 1 Hit Die creature doesn't seem out of place... especially considering it is a spirit. These things need to have some kind of defense against those beastly Ammuts.

I prefer an arbitrary bonus too, but we have a stubborn holdout... :p

I'd actually make the Hama even smaller (perhaps Tiny) which would give it an even better Size bonus to AC... then allow for larger Hamas through Advancement.

That would work, the SRD Owl and Hawk are both Tiny.

It depends on whether these "spirit birds" are the same size as the birds they resemble.

Cleon

Legend
That would work, the SRD Owl and Hawk are both Tiny.

It depends on whether these "spirit birds" are the same size as the birds they resemble.

Hmm, contrariwise it says they often take the form of Eagles, which are Small in the SRD.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I like the idea of making 'em Tiny, and I can live with the arbitrary deflection bonus to fill in the remainder.

Cleon

Legend
I like the idea of making 'em Tiny, and I can live with the arbitrary deflection bonus to fill in the remainder.

Updating the Working Draft.

Hmm. Comparing the stats I prefer them as Small, but if you both really want them Tiny I'll go along with it. (while keeping them Small in my own multiverse...)

Remove ads