Converting Al-Qadim creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Since they are rumored to be created by genies, I thought we should let them understand one or more elemental languages. If we just pick one, Auran seems the best fit. Thoughts?

Although they can be found almost anywhere, it takes a keen eye and a desire to bond with one to locate a vizier’s turban. Even then, its rarity makes it unlikely that a wizard who is not spending every waking hour searching for one will find one. They are virtual masters of disguise since they look like strips of material when unwound and like scarves, turbans, or veils when posing.

This suggests a racial bonus to Disguise, plus a huge situational racial bonus to mimic cloth items.

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Since they are rumored to be created by genies, I thought we should let them understand one or more elemental languages. If we just pick one, Auran seems the best fit. Thoughts?

With its genius intelligence it ought to be able to speak a bunch of languages.

How about the same as a Djinni - Auran, Celestial, Common, and Ignan.

We could even give it more than that, since SRD Djinn are less intelligent than these turbans (Int 14 vs Int 18).

This suggests a racial bonus to Disguise, plus a huge situational racial bonus to mimic cloth items.

I was thinking a +10 bonus to Disguise as is standard for Alternate Form, but if you want to add a racial bonus on top of that I see no reason not to.

Shade

Monster Junkie
With its genius intelligence it ought to be able to speak a bunch of languages.

How about the same as a Djinni - Auran, Celestial, Common, and Ignan.

We could even give it more than that, since SRD Djinn are less intelligent than these turbans (Int 14 vs Int 18).

Let's throw Draconic on the pile, since it is the "language of magic".

I was thinking a +10 bonus to Disguise as is standard for Alternate Form, but if you want to add a racial bonus on top of that I see no reason not to.

That outta suffice. Updated.

A vizier’s turban is x feet tall and weighs x pounds. It can change its skin and eye coloration to suit its host and can even reshape itself somewhat to resemble other accessories such as scarves and helms. It has no need to eat or drink and may be immortal, for none has ever been witnessed to expire of natural causes.

Do we need a size and weight? Should we just state it weighs about as much as a similar-sized piece of cloth?

Cleon

Legend
Let's throw Draconic on the pile, since it is the "language of magic".

I was thinking about suggesting Draconic, so that's agreeable.

I notice you've put "A vizier's turban cannot speak" in the Homebrews, which makes me wonder how we can be sure they're mute? It says they communicate telepathically with their hosts and leaves it at that, which I suppose might mean that's their only innate means of communication. There's no mention of them having a "mouth" or "tongue" to speak with.

Maybe there's something in their illustration... The MCA2 picture shows a turban with a badge at the front in the shape of a lion-like face, complete with two jewels (its "eyes"), a nose and a mouth. The Corsairs of the Great Sea shows a turban with a serpent-like head at the top, which also has eyes and a mouth.

Now those mouths may be mere ornament, but it's also possible the turban can speak with them.

Hold on, we've got "When two vizier’s turbans meet (usually while traveling with their bonded wizards), they will greet one another politely but refrain from long conversation". That means they must be able to talk, since if they communicated with each other telepathically the observer would not know they were having a conversation!

A vizier’s turban is x feet tall and weighs x pounds. It can change its skin and eye coloration to suit its host and can even reshape itself somewhat to resemble other accessories such as scarves and helms. It has no need to eat or drink and may be immortal, for none has ever been witnessed to expire of natural causes.

Do we need a size and weight? Should we just state it weighs about as much as a similar-sized piece of cloth?

The ADYD Turban has "S (2'-4' long)" in its Size. Why not use that?

Considering both the turban's illustrations show it with a "face badge", I would add that to the background text.

How's this:

A brightly colored turban of fine cloth is fastened by two shimmering jewels.

A vizier’s turban is a symbiotic entity that feeds upon a spellcaster's vitality in exchange for greater spellcasting power. It enjoys watching what goes on around it from its vantage point atop its partner’s head.

Despite its parasitic nature, a vizier’s turban makes an excellent companion. It eagerly engages in philosophical discussions with its host. It never seeks to impose its own will, but will offer its opinion gladly if asked. Keen and observant, it loves travel and views all new experiences with a sense of wonder. Although it has no affinity for spellcasting itself, it derives a sense of satisfaction from feeling its host‘s emotional response to acquiring and casting spells.

A vizier's turban can change the color and pattern of its skin to match any kind of cloth, but prefers to look like fine silk or satin. It can even reshape itself to resemble other accessories such as scarves and helms. The turban has two eyes that can appear to be gems or buttons, it usually makes them look like fine jewels. A vizier's turban sometimes shapes part of its body to mimic a metal badge pinned to the front or top of the turban. This badge is often shaped like a face of some sort - man, beast, or monster - set with the "jewels" of the turban's eyes.

A vizier's turban takes on whatever appearance suits its host. When without a host, vizier's turbans often hide in places where turbans can be found, such as cloth markets, wardrobes, rag bags, and among caravan trade goods.

Although their origins are unknown, many sages speculate vizier's turbans were created by genies, or are lesser genies in their own right. Others theories suggest they were once familiars or magic items that acquired sentience and eventually, life. They have no need to eat, drink or breathe, and may be immortal. None has ever been witnessed to expire of natural causes.

Vizier's turbans change alignment to match their hosts, they are generally neutral when on their own. They have no differentiation of sex, adopting a gender outlook that resembles their hosts. Theories suggest they reproduce by fission, forming a duplicate which is then left to fend for itself.

A vizier's turban is 2 to 4 feet across if it fully unfolds its cloth-like body. Its weight is negligible, a few ounces at the most.

Vizier's turbans can speak Auran, Celestial, Common, Draconic, and Ignan. However, while a vizier's turban enjoys communicating telepathically with its host, it has no interest in talking to anyone else. Even if it meets another vizier's turban, the two turbans will greet each other politely but hold no further conversation.

Remove ads