• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cave campaigning

DocSER

Explorer
I am considering moving my campaign underground for an extended period of time. I am looking for some resources to help me out.

1] A library of cave maps of all sizes. I need at least a couple of caves large enough to house a small village. I also need some good adventuring caves.

2] Advice on describing and designing cave structures. I would like to leave the players with a vivid image of the caves. (I have seen Monte's vacation page - it is exactly the sort of thing I am looking for, only more)

3] Rules for travel and adventuring in caves. I would like the environment to become one big NPC (not sentient, just an active "player" in the character's experience).

What resources would be best for this? Did the old Menzo boxed set have interesting advice on creating cave adventures or was it mostly a boxed adventure (which I plan to pillage for maps anyway).

Thanks for any help you can offer.

DocSER

Explorer
Yes, I read through the thread.

I am looking for references. They are only starting to appear in teh thread on "natural dungeons".

Basically, I am looking more for maps and rule extensions than scientific explanations or cave formation.

CCamfield

First Post
Have you tried doing a search on the different terms in Monte's article? I did one on the desert type of cave (formed by windblown sand) and got a lot of links.

Kilmore

First Post
The Dungeoneer's Survival Guide hearkens back to the dying days of 1st edition, but it has rules for underground adventures that may still be useful. Plus, you might find it pretty cheap.

Lurks-no-More

First Post
If you are going underground for a long time, nothing beats Jeff Long's "Descent" as an inspiration.

That's the way Underdark should be done: creepy, alien, enormous, with frightening beauty and deadly inhabitants.

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Have you done Web searches on "cave map" and "cave photo"? Have you checked WOTC's Maps-a-Week and Dungeon Magazine's back issues? Use whatever scale you like. Don't forget to pillage your other adventures for maps (and alter the scale if you need to): got Erelhei Cinlu?

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/DnD_Features_Nav.asp?L=MW
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dungeon/backissues

Don't forget the public library; checking out a few books on real-world caves, speleology, and spelunking should prove very worthwhile. Got time to visit/tour a nearby cave? Only you know how the PCs will respond to the environment, so as you make ad hoc rulings in response it will be useful to know what your particular caves are like in as much detail as you think you'll need. Real-world caves vary dramatically in just about every meaningful way, so you might find it easiest to pick a basic cave type and stick with it.

Of course, the beautiful thing about natural formations, map-wise, is that you can get away with basically scribbling a map and just going with it. After all, the players aren't going to see the map you draw and aren't necessarily interested in whether you've got all the nooks and crannies right. But having a good idea of how your cave was formed and what general shape that sort of cave tends to take will make everything more believable.

Be very aware of what the players can see and hear. How far can the characters see? What's in their light radius? Low-light vision radius? Darkvision radius? Does anything glow? What sorts of geologic features are present within view? Is the air fresh or stale? Does the surrounding earth reflect and magnify sound or absorb and dampen it? (Impose a penalty or bonus on Move Silently checks.)

On the flip side, how much noise, light, and odor do the characters emit? Many cave residents will have the equivalent of either tremorsense, blindsight, or darkvision to compensate for darkness or even total blindness. Bats, though not themselves blind, possess blindsight based on sounds the bats themselves make; other creatures might "home in" on vibrations, sounds, or scents they encounter. If the characters are wandering through untouched, pristine caverns, they should expect a different welcome than if they are wandering through often-used (even patrolled!) passages.

How do the characters plan on keeping track of time? Day and night are more or less indistinguishable underground, to say nothing of morning and afternoon. If they have no plan, be ready, the first time the players need to know what the time is or how much time has passed, to tell them their characters haven't the faintest idea. Or have someone make a Wis check and use the result to gauge how accurate the characters' sense of time is. (The DC ought to go up for a while as the PCs stay below ground, then go back down after they're used to it.) This will affect spellcasters mostly.

Do the caves have any non-monstrous residents? How do these creatures live? The underground ecology is quite different from the aboveground, and especially so in a fantasy world -- but some organism (fungus, plant, animal?) almost certainly fills the role of "food crop" and another (animal, beast, humanoid?) fills the role of "top predator." Where are these organisms, how common are they, and how do they (and other organisms) interact? Including the wildlife in your descriptions tends to boost verisimilitude. How plentiful is water? Can the characters find water while traveling or is the water supply a real worry?

You'll want to decide whether the cave is easy to navigate (full movement), a little tricky (2/3 movement), or really tortuous (1/3 or less movement). Do the characters have enough room to move around freely? If not, you'll need to penalize certain skill checks and attack rolls. If you've got characters with nice high Climb bonuses, put them to the test. Is the terrain treacherous enough the characters will want to rope themselves together? Devise a reasonable series of Dex and/or Str checks for when one of them falls off the narrow ledge.

Other factors are dependent on what's going on between the sentient underground races. Duergar, svirfneblin, illithids, aboleths, drow, pech, derro, magmins, kuo-toa, humans, and more may all be vying for space, food, slaves, luminous fungi, ore, gems, trading rights, or some other limited resource. Who are the dominant folk in a given area, and why? How do they treat surface-dwellers? Do they even know anything about the surface world, or is it all just one long crazy myth to them?

HTH. HAND. Good luck!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads