• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can somebody HELP!

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
My stupid dice keep falling off the table. Even if I'm sitting down and rolling on a flat surface. It's so annoying, and I hate losing dice! What do I have to do to make them behave?

Fanaelialae

Legend
A dice tray is a good solution provided you have a space for it. They even make dice towers if you're feeling fancy.

Otherwise, best I can suggest is roll away from yourself (towards the center of the table) and don't give them too much oomph.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
1. Dice Tray - nice wood flat-bottomed, felt covered tray

Pros - you can buy fancy ones that will fit in with expensive yuppie gaming tables in their fancy-smacey game rooms.

Cons - dice can still bounce over the rim of the tray; the trays take up table space with no use other than rolling dice; nice ones can be expensive, cheap ones look cheap

2. Redneck Dice Tray - an ash tray, bowl, or glass tumbler

Pros - It looks cheap but you didn't spend any money on it like a fool. It can double as an ash tray or spitoon. You almost certainly have SOMETHING in your home that can be used as a make-shift dice tray.

Cons - Takes up table space, but at least has other uses.

3. Dice Tower

Pros - generally take up less table space than dice trays. Nobody can accuse you of cheating or controlling the dice with your throw. The dice are almost guaranteed to not go off the table. Roller less likely to grab up the dice before others at the table can see them.

Cons - Some models can slow down the dice rolling, reading, and retrieving. Less satisfying than throwing the dice. Cheap ones look really dumb. Expensive once have a habit for getting bumped off tables and breaking apart. Do not travel well. So you'll still have your dice off the table issue at Conventions and Game Stores unless you pack your bulking dice tower.

4. Digital Dice

Pros. You can put your phone on the table and use a dice app to roll and still let others at the table see.

Cons. Dice that need battery power, no thanks. You lose the tactile joy that comes from throwing physical dice. You might as well all go back to your own homes and play on Roll 20.

5. VTTs

Pros. No physical table for dice to fall off of.

Cons. Virtual tables generally used virtual dice. Boo! If you roll physical dice while playing with a VTT then you still have all the issues related to dice rolling off of a table, but probably more so as you are probably at a desk or table with far less table space than whatever table you'd sit around with physically present people.

6. Metal Dice

Pros. Heavier, less travel when rolling. When used in conjunction with a dice tray, are very unlikely to bounce off the table. Loud. Some say that's a con, they are wrong.

Cons. Expensive. Will lead exacerbate possessiveness and unwillingness to share dice. The risk of someone borrowing and forgetting to return you $20 d20.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
6. Metal Dice

Pros. Heavier, less travel when rolling. When used in conjunction with a dice tray, are very unlikely to bounce off the table. Loud. Some say that's a con, they are wrong.
ADDENDUM: Can be used as a weapon to punish misbehaving players. The d4 is an actual caltrop instead of almost caltrop like plastic ones...

Would also recommend a dice tray. You can go with a wooden one or any number of a collapsible leather ones for travelling.

It is a rule universally acknowledged that if people are sitting on a couch any fallen die will end up deep underneath the couch.

I use a dice cup as well. Just as Bawylie says.

-Place dice in cup
-Cover cup with hand
-Shake cup
-Place cup face down on table
-Lift cup and read the result

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I use a wooden bowl with a piece of felt at the bottom, I don't remember where I found the wooden bowl, I see them cheap at garage sales or rummage shops; I bought a sheet of felt at Michaels and put a can on it about the size for the bottom of the bowl, and cut a circle out.

Remove ads