• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Beadle & Grimms’ Spelljammer Platinum Edition

If you have a few hundred dollars durning a hole in your pocket, Beadle & Grimms’ customary platinum edition of WotC’s latest D&D book is available for preorder. Mars needs Goblins!* Actually, this has nothing to do with Mars, but it does have to do with space. Also, no goblins to speak of. So maybe we walk that title back and start over. Wildspace needs you!** Get ready for the greatest...

If you have a few hundred dollars durning a hole in your pocket, Beadle & Grimms’ customary platinum edition of WotC’s latest D&D book is available for preorder.

Mars needs Goblins!*

Actually, this has nothing to do with Mars, but it does have to do with space.

Also, no goblins to speak of.

So maybe we walk that title back and start over.

Wildspace needs you!**

Get ready for the greatest space adventure of all time—yours! Jump into the Wildspace adventure of Spelljammer: Adventures in Space* and explore new worlds, encounter new creatures,** and jump from spaceship to spaceship like the Space Pirate you always wanted to be!

This Limited Edition Platinum set includes:
  • Collector's Platinum Edition Box
  • Exploded Books: all three books included as soft-covers with a player-only section
  • DM Screen: original art outside with Spelljammer specifics inside
  • Pre-generated characters specific to a Spelljammer campaign setting
  • Encounter Cards and Ship Cards to show your players the creatures, NPCs and ships they'll encounter on their astral adventure
  • Booklet of Bonus Encounters with original adventures and art
  • In-world handouts to give to your players
  • Map Tube with original battle maps and poster-size map
  • A package of individual ship maps
  • All new Spelljammer: Adventures in Space magic item and spell cards
  • Amazing In-world artifacts
  • 20 specially curated WizKids pre-painted Spelljammer minis in their own collector's box
* No one needs goblins.
** Unless you’re a goblin (see above).
*** See, that worked out fine. At Beadle & Grimm’s our creative process is built around surprise, fear, speed, and very little editing.
**** Maybe even goblins. One can dream.

E85C2378-3BC7-4524-9D44-862FED3E7516.jpeg

AF1E0959-A754-4ADC-9B18-811173AB3456.jpeg

I honestly cannot believe people would spend $500 bucks on stuff like this.

Having lived through now 4 editions and wishing I had spent less money (especially during 3rd ed).

What a wake up call some will have when they realize most of this stuff is used maybe once then put on a shelf forever.
I think the core take away here is that the things you spent money on in gaming didn't correlate to the things that actually made your gaming better, made you happier, etc. and that is an interesting conversation that could really use its own thread.

No. Everyone please steer far away from letting speculation and beanie-baby-fication of things induce you to be more willing to "invest" in expensive luxury items with false rarity.

You want an investment, buy some stock or something (if you're like me an like owning a chunk of the companies you buy stuff from, the price of this product is enough to buy 5 shares in WotC's parent company at the moment, with enough left over to probably buy the core product from a discounter). You want a $500 super-deluxe version of a product, do it because you really want that thing, but don't think its an investment because a handful of people are maybe successfully flipping them on ebay. If the market for copies above the original price was large Beadle and Grimm's would make more or charge more.

Or buy the product with intention of flipping it, a few people probably make money doing that. But that requires having proper knowledge of the market and a willingness to put some energy into having an ebay business (if you already have one that's not an issue, if you don't you may have some issues, including finding it harder to sell a relatively high ticket item without already having some positive buyer feedback). It also requires Beadles and Grimm selling out their limited production run. And it all may start to depreciate when whatever "next evolution" is coming in 2024 comes around.

It's certainly seems possible to make a profit buying these things, but that does not make them an investment that "appreciates in value" as a general rule. The sometimes high aftermarket sales prices do not make them something that just anyone can reliably divest themself of at a profit.
I'm not against the crux of your argument (You should buy it because you want it), but ignoring the value of it as a collector's item because you don't like the idea of "beanie-babification" is short-sighted, especially since non-collector's items much older than them (Like Star Wars figures or even 1E and 2E D&D modules, showing that D&D moving on to newer editions doesn't cause depreciation) have generally appreciated in value. I don't think anyone should be dumping out their 401ks to buy a dozen of these (Because, as you said, you need to have a bit of knowledge of the market to sell these, plus it'd be a storage nightmare), but let's take your example of stock as an investment versus buying a collector's item, and run with it.

Let's say I bought Hasbro stock instead of buying the Dragon Heist Platinum Edition five years ago. I would have lost 11% of my initial nominal investment, as Hasbro is down over 11% in the last five years, and that's ignoring that I would have lost more in real value due to inflation. Instead, I can flip my PE for double what I purchased it for within a week. If I were willing to put in the time, I could re-list it a few times to find the right buyer and sell it for 3 or 4 times what I bought it for. It was a riskier investment, to be sure, but what I did paid off dividends compared to the "safe" strategy of buying stock.

Now, granted, I did buy it because I wanted it, and I and my table have gotten a lot of entertainment value from it. But, that doesn't change the fact that it also has appreciated in real value by at least 100%. Avernus and Frostmaiden have also sold out and are going for the same amount. I doubt we'll see depreciation of these anytime soon, if ever. They're rare, even if that rarity is artificial, and collectors know it.

Last edited:

I'm not against the crux of your argument (You should buy it because you want it), but ignoring the value of it as a collector's item because you don't like the idea of "beanie-babification" is short-sighted, especially since non-collector's items much older than them (Like Star Wars figures or even 1E and 2E D&D modules, showing that D&D moving on to newer editions doesn't cause depreciation) have generally appreciated in value. I don't think anyone should be dumping out their 401ks to buy a dozen of these (Because, as you said, you need to have a bit of knowledge of the market to sell these, plus it'd be a storage nightmare), but let's take your example of stock as an investment versus buying a collector's item, and run with it.

Let's say I bought Hasbro stock instead of buying the Dragon Heist Platinum Edition five years ago. I would have lost 11% of my initial nominal investment, as Hasbro is down over 11% in the last five years, and that's ignoring that I would have lost more in real value due to inflation. Instead, I can flip my PE for double what I purchased it for within a week. If I were willing to put in the time, I could re-list it a few times to find the right buyer and sell it for 3 or 4 times what I bought it for. It was a riskier investment, to be sure, but what I did paid off dividends compared to the "safe" strategy of buying stock.

Now, granted, I did buy it because I wanted it, and I and my table have gotten a lot of entertainment value from it. But, that doesn't change the fact that it also has appreciated in real value by at least 100%. Avernus and Frostmaiden have also sold out and are going for the same amount. I doubt we'll see depreciation of these anytime soon, if ever. They're rare, even if that rarity is artificial, and collectors know it.

Yes, well Hasbro stock was a bad example. The basic point is that I think there is a limited window in which a limited number of people can make a profit flipping a small number these super-premium editions, but that that is very different from them being an easily re-sellable commodity at all, much less one that will reliably appreciate in value. I think even partially justifying the purchase with it somehow being an investment because a few people have profited off flipping them is a dangerous mindset to get into, and one that sellers at all levels of "premium" products with inflated prices often use to take advantage of consumers.

The value is entirely based on artificial rarity. They might decide to produce more, and then you just have a used copy of something that is no longer rare. The aftermarket "value" is established by a very limited number of aftermarket sales to a very limited number of people willing to pay ridiculous premiums. If a large percentage of the owners actually decided to sell the resale costs would plummet.

In any case don't take investment advice from randos on the internet.

Stormonu

Legend
If youve got the cash and the will go for it. Ive never been one for extravagent purchases for an RPG. Not when new eds are around the corner or the new hotness can pop up.

Liek I said having seen the death of TSR and how 4th ed played out. Not a chance I'd take. But thats just me, my pov, and my personal finances.
I kinda get what you're talking about, but this is a one-and-done for me that's right up my alley. I'm springing for the Silver edition myself, so it's a bit cheaper, but I plan to get plenty of usage out of it - my original SJ set is pretty worn itself. I expect this will be the last D&D edition for me anyway, so I'm willing to splurge on this one item.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I have the Beadle saved on eBay so I can catch that Silver edition of certain boxes, Saltmarsh and Frostmaiden being 2 I’m trying to catch and most sell for 500-800 for the silver editions. I keep waffling on the Strahd super one, looks awesome and the unboxings are always tempting me…sort of like the wizkids Tiamat gargantuan mini.

teitan

Legend
If youve got the cash and the will go for it. Ive never been one for extravagent purchases for an RPG. Not when new eds are around the corner or the new hotness can pop up.

Liek I said having seen the death of TSR and how 4th ed played out. Not a chance I'd take. But thats just me, my pov, and my personal finances.
I dunno, 4e stuff is starting to fetch some dolla dolla dollas.

Pretty cool. Only thing missing is the fold out poster map of the D&D phlogiston galaxy, showing where all the published worlds are (Mystara, Oerth, Athas, Aebrynis, Toril, Eberron, Krynn etc). Like the Star Wars and Star Trek galaxy maps.

Maps and figures persist in usefulness across editions. I’ve been able to re-use ship maps from old Spelljammer products as well as Champions of Mystara. Got to break out the poster battle maps of Princess Ark as the PCs got to battle off Mindspiders.
Exactly! And the quality of the maps with these are one of the things that really sold me on them. They are the highest quality and most durable RPG maps I've ever come across. I'm not sure if I'll ever run Frostmaiden, but I've used the materials from the set several times already in other campaigns, especially the maps and minis. So not necessarily a "one and done" sort of use at all.

Let's say I bought Hasbro stock instead of buying the Dragon Heist Platinum Edition five years ago. I would have lost 11% of my initial nominal investment, as Hasbro is down over 11% in the last five years, and that's ignoring that I would have lost more in real value due to inflation. Instead, I can flip my PE for double what I purchased it for within a week. I
what ever I invest in sucks... I have comics from the 90's but not the right ones... I have twice lost my 401k do to others criminal problems. just recently though I have been ridiculed because while cleaning my spaces I found an unopened box set of the original Bones Kickstarter from Reaper. (I most likely have painted less then half of the box I DID open). When I bought into the kickstarter I was told it was between 1500 and 2000 worth of minis for a little over 100. As you can see I bought 2. I decided with my wedding coming up I would sell it and so I put it on FB market place asking for $700. All I got was a lot of people telling me I am dumb and that it isn't worth $200... I did find that SOME do sell on ebay for $125

I didn't buy it TO resell it, but when I changed to 'make me an offer' I was getting offers of $50... for something that is thousands if you bought it peacemill, and orginally cost over 100... so I took it down. I will sit it with my other unpained minis before I sell it to people for that.

Remove ads

Remove ads