• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

At Will abilities - no healing among the list, should there be?

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
D&D has always been a game where healing took a very back seat role.

You had a few heals, but you didn't really top people off, and you didn't usually use them in combat unless there was a crisis moment.

Years of playing MMOs have kind of re-tuned my expectations for playing a healer - and I've come to expect an active playstyle where I try to heal through the incoming damage of the group.

I noticed in the playtest material that the cleric labeled as a healer, got an at-will power that was a massive attack spell, as potent as about 1/3rd of the warrior's weapon.

There also appears to be an ability to rest over night and be fully healed in the morning. So gone will be the days when a DM paced the game by whittling the adventurers down over weeks of combat. Those adventures where 200 rooms into the mighty pits of despair, you look like a pack of mummies with axes, at 10% of hit points, holing up with a barricade made of Orc corpses, and waiting for the next onslaught while the cleric tries to take a nap to get another cure insignificant wounds ready.

- Just rest up once, and no need for healing.

So the healing spells will now be for moving between encounter to encounter on that same day.

At this point, making the leap halfway to active healing, I feel as if maybe it might be nice to just finish out that leap - and give us an at-will healing spell.

Once tuned to taking care of smaller damage, but not the big hits.

Perhaps something like "at will heal of ability score bonus hit points" - it'd feel like the 'HoTs' of a WoW resto Druid. Not enough to make you immune to doom, but enough to have an impact, and enough to make the player with a healer feel like a healer and feel active in playing that role...

There was a design goal in there to make casters feel like full time spell casters, rather than a guy who mostly uses a crossbow or dart.

It seems like that goal was met for the 'DPS' - the damage dealers. But not for the 'healers'.

There is still a desire to not allow for a role that is primarily about healing. Only a sort of 'damage dealer that is weaker in damage by a notable amount, for which they get an occasional opportunity to put neosporin on somebody.'

I'm for making the leap all the way - into active healing. Otherwise with full rest being equal to a full heal, having a healer just seems like a perk rather than a vital spot to fill. A sort of: ok, we have a cleric who is focused on healing, so every 24 hours, we can take out 1.5 more elves before we're likely to run out of HPs.

Gadget

Adventurer
Disagree. I say this as a fan of 4E, but at will healing is not something I would want to see in the game. No edition of D&D has had this (though a sack of cure light wounds wands in 3X came close). The Cleric's job is not to negate all incoming damage, just to give limited resources to help mitigate it. The recover full hit points for an extended rest thing is a very likely place for one of those 'dials' the designers keep talking about. It would be a simple matter to have an extended rest only restore a roll of (your level) Hit Die, or one Hit Die worth of hit points. This would easily allow for more attrition focused games, which at-will healing would trivialise.

B.T.

First Post
no healing among the list, should there be?
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, TEN THOUSAND TIMES NO.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
It wouldn't matter how few HP were restored. An At-Will healing spell would simply be used as often as needed to get everyone back up to full. About the only way to mitigate it would be to bring back Wandering Monsters.

drothgery

First Post
Disagree. I say this as a fan of 4E, but at will healing is not something I would want to see in the game. No edition of D&D has had this (though a sack of cure light wounds wands in 3X came close).
There was a reserve feat that gave at-will healing under almost all conditions in Complete Champion.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
I guess I don't see the harm in bringing everyone back to full at the end of an encounter.

Kill em during the fight, or try again next time. It works in a -LOT- of competing RPGS just fine, and in MMOs.

And it allows the cleric to be an active participant in their chosen role, rather than a 'weak fighter with one-a-day vitamins'.

If at-will damage has proven viable, why not at-will healing?
Or conversely, if at-will healing is bad, shouldn't we then strip away the at-will spells like Magic Missile from the wizard?

Do rituals carry the burden of repeatable healing then?
You can cast CLW as a ritual as many times as you want; but it will cost and it will take time. But aside from that it is at will?

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

slobster

Hero
If at-will damage has proven viable, why not at-will healing?
Or conversely, if at-will healing is bad, shouldn't we then strip away the at-will spells like Magic Missile from the wizard?

They are very different things.

Basically, every class already has at-will damaging abilities. They're called weapons. Giving spellcasters at-will spells is a difference in the degree to which they can deal at-will damage. It isn't the granting of a new capability.

Regardless of where you might stand on the at-will healing topic (I am against) you can't compare unlimited healing to at-will damage.

Last edited:

Daztur

Adventurer
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, TEN THOUSAND TIMES NO.

I don't think that there is a font big enough to express the "no" for this idea. That's basically baking in everything wrong with 3.5ed CLW wands into the game.

Remove ads