• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Any 1e (or 2e) iconic dungeons that never made it to the top 30 list in dungeon magazine?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I thought this list was going to include DUNGEON mag adventures, many of which are as good if not better than the classic modules I also love.

The startling absence I noticed is any of the UK series of modules, I highly recommend UK4 When a Star Falls. . . and UK7 Dark Clouds Gather.

Greggy C

Hero
I thought this list was going to include DUNGEON mag adventures, many of which are as good if not better than the classic modules I also love.

The startling absence I noticed is any of the UK series of modules, I highly recommend UK4 When a Star Falls. . . and UK7 Dark Clouds Gather.
Well I'm not going to collect Dungeon mags, as cool as that might be, thats too many and took much space :)

On the subject of Judges Guild, I'd recommend Tegel Manor, because the map is so wildly dense (but also because, especially for the time, there's an actual attention to setting a mood with the rooms, though it's still very much a funhouse dungeon). I occasionally joke about wanting to do a stream where I have a few beverages (a la Drunk History) and attempt to run the dungeon:

1641401916476.png

Have a look again - Dark Tower is on the list already.

For historical purposes, the two Wee Warriors are worth picking up, especially since cheap reprints are easily available.

GreyLord

Legend
I'd say the rest of the Dragonlance Modules are well worth it, not just DL1. Technically, what they list is DLC 1 which is Dragonlance Classics 1 (or at least that is what they link to). That has the first 4 dragonlance modules in it (dragons of Despair, Dragons of Flame, Dragons of Hope, Dragons of Desolation).

DLC 2 has Dragons of Ice, Dragons of War, Dragons of Light and Dragons of Deceit.

DLC 3 has Dragons of Deams, Dragons of Truth, Dragons of Faith, and Dragons of Triumph.

All of them combined tell the whole grand story.

Well I'm not going to collect Dungeon mags, as cool as that might be, thats too many and took much space :)

There are one or two that are classics in and of themselves. One historic module/adventure is found there which is so relavant, so impactful, that I think it hit just as much as any adventure. In it you find the historic Red Dragon Flame. If I could only have ONE module, it would be this one...over all others (even my beloved Dragonlance).

It is Dungeon #17, May/June 1989. In it you have a sequel module of sorts. It is called out of Ashes for levels 8-12 and is a killer module/adventure where experienced adventurers go to die through the Lair of a Red Dragon...and of course, at the end, the climactic battle with Flame.

However, as you aren't collecting Dungeon, if you don't want to go that route, you could always go the gonzo route of H1-H4. It is the Bloodstone series. The historic climax of all things Forgotten Realms where you go to the outer planes and the Abyss to fight it's minions and Lords in H4, the Throne of Bloodstone. Good way to die. Gonzo out the wazoo. You are trying to defeat Orcus (or steal his stuff) if you can. It's for levels 18-100.

Remove ads