• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E Alarums & Excursions: Converting A&E Monsters to 2E (Updated)

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Hello all,

In which has become a rather lengthy project, I've been trying to collect all monsters ever published for OD&D, AD&D 1E, and AD&D 2E into what is rapidly becoming a monstrously huge monstrous manual. This volume will only contain monsters published in 'official' TSR sources (e.g., source books, monster manuals, modules, Polyhedron, Dragon Magazine), with but few exceptions. Perhaps most notable among the latter are the monsters published in White Dwarf Magazine, some of which find their origins in the earliest issues of Alarums & Excursions (A&E).

I have attached a pdf file with converted versions of the monsters in question.

Although I have scoured the internet quite extensively and have also been in contact with various people involved in this interesting publication, I have not been able to find the answers to various questions that have come with converting these monsters.

Can anybody help me get copies, transcripts, or perhaps even - dare I say it - scans of the original texts on these monsters as they were published in A&E?
If not, can anybody tell me in which issue each monster was featured?

Many thanks,

ilgatto

EDIT: Thought I'd add the most recent versions of the monsters originally in the attachment - in AD&D 2E format, as it were.

Attachments

• MS1-MonstrousSupplement-WhiteDwarf(Alarums&Excursions)(v2-1).pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Indeed.

It has to be said that the quality of the writings does leave quite a bit to the imagination in certain, if not many, cases. I used to publish texts in another zine myself and I used to be quite proud of them until I re-read them some years ago. Couldn't believe how badly they were written. Another sweet memory gone.

Having said all that, Lee Gold sent me a list of contributors to A&E at one point (must be about a decade ago), which listed everybody who had ever published in A&E (possibly up to some point), as well as the issues their texts appeared in. Had a quick look to see if I could find the list but couldn't so far.
Perhaps you can ask Lee to send you the list?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Indeed.

It has to be said that the quality of the writings does leave quite a bit to the imagination in certain, if not many, cases. I used to publish texts in another zine myself and I used to be quite proud of them until I re-read them some years ago. Couldn't believe how badly they were written. Another sweet memory gone.

Having said all that, Lee Gold sent me a list of contributors to A&E at one point (must be about a decade ago), which listed everybody who had ever published in A&E (possibly up to some point), as well as the issues their texts appeared in. Had a quick look to see if I could find the list but couldn't so far.
Perhaps you can ask Lee to send you the list?

Could be interesting digging in the storage seems less fun.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
pic3146887.jpg

Well cover art on this one by me

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads