• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance After seeing the UA...Dragonlance PC Module?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
What the title say. :)

Now that we've seen (in the newly premiered Unearthed Arcana monthly column) how WotC can release player/game setting-specific info in tight little bundles of PDF...expectations/most obvious next one would be Dragonlance...or for that matter any other setting you want to see that would warrant these sort of "tack on" options.

What do you think it will look like?

My guess:
Races for: Kender, Minotaur....and Idreth?
A Wizard's Tradition or Feat for "Wizard of High Sorcery"
I think a Background for basic/first rank Knights of Solamnia. Then Feats for the higher orders of...well, the order. So Knight of the Rose would be a feat...of maybe a Paladin Oath...but it doesn't seem to really warrant that.

And that would pretty much do it. "Tinker" Gnomes we already have. No one should/would ever want to play a Gully Dwarf, but whatever, maybe they throw it in there as a Dwarf subrace.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
I used to run two campaigns in DragonLance, one good and one evil. Great fun, and some of the most dramatic, epic stories available. Play a minotaur gladiator who earned his freedom, or a black-robed wizard of high sorcery. The real prize may be the knight, though. The knight as a separate character class is something most settings, and D&D itself has always lacked in my opinion.

Patrick McGill

First Post
I think the Fighter or Paladin with the Noble(Knight) background is more than ample for a Knight class. I just can't see making enough of a variant to be a separate class, and subclasses are far too narrow for the many sorts of knights and the way they approach combat. I don't think a Knight class could be justified within the 5e paradigm.

A feat, however, might be just the thing. I hope they use Feats for the Knights of Solamnia, with a prerequisite of 4th level. The three levels before that being your training period.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
I think the Fighter or Paladin with the Noble(Knight) background is more than ample for a Knight class. I just can't see making enough of a variant to be a separate class, and subclasses are far too narrow for the many sorts of knights and the way they approach combat. I don't think a Knight class could be justified within the 5e paradigm.

A feat, however, might be just the thing. I hope they use Feats for the Knights of Solamnia, with a prerequisite of 4th level. The three levels before that being your training period.

DragonLance is free to depart as much as desired from the core rules, and the knights of Solamnia have a long tradition as independent character classes. If 5th Edition can't accommodate them, it would be a serious failing. Sturm Brightblade, of the DragonLance Chronicles, is the best character ever written in a D&D novel, and he neither is used to wealth or an aristocrat's title and retainers, nor up to being a paladin in the traditional sense. He is just a man, and even Raistlin respected him because of the hardships he was willing to endure to adhere to his code and sense of honor and morality.

I would recommend the knight class be designed for DragonLance, as close to the originals as possible.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
DragonLance is free to depart as much as desired from the core rules, and the knights of Solamnia have a long tradition as independent character classes. If 5th Edition can't accommodate them, it would be a serious failing. Sturm Brightblade, of the DragonLance Chronicles, is the best character ever written in a D&D novel, and he neither is used to wealth or an aristocrat's title and retainers, nor up to being a paladin in the traditional sense. He is just a man, and even Raistlin respected him because of the hardships he was willing to endure to adhere to his code and sense of honor and morality.

I would recommend the knight class be designed for DragonLance, as close to the originals as possible.

One of the problems with the Knights of Solamnia is that, originally, they were just fighters. Dragonlance Adventures, fun (and flawed) book that it is, came some time after the original adventures and novels were released. In its attempts to provide mechanical distinctiveness for the classes, it managed to be at odds with how they were presented in the books and adventures.

For instance, everyone would agree that the signature spell of Raistlin is sleep? Good... Red Robe Wizards can't cast it by the rules in Dragonlance Adventures.

Sturm is a fighter with a code of honour. Mechanically, there's nothing special about him at all... but he demonstrates how good writing, good role-playing and good DMing can elevate a character.

Kender are halflings with a couple of mechanical tweaks, easily achieved as a subrace. Wizards of High Sorcery... I'm still waiting for a mechanical representation of them that I like.

Cheers!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads