• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Accents and Style of Speech (e.g. Dragonlance setting)

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Our next campaign will take us to Krynn and a return to a world I haven't visited for a long time. I like to make worlds come alive by including details such as styles of speech, mannerisms, and so on. I don't do accents, but I sat down and found I couldn't find anything to say what makes the languages of most settings such as Dragonlance different. For example, in Dark Sun, I had Half-Giants speaking with such a rumble and bass that it was difficult for most to understand them without the half-giant speaking slowly and enunciating (making them appear even less intelligent than they were already genetically designed).

That said, if you're on Krynn, how is Ergot different from Solamnic, or how should Dwarven sound, or Qualinesti elf? Do all European-based nations have a (bad) British accent and all dwarves a (bad) Scottish one? Would it be out of line to have dwarves with a southern drawl? Has anyone done something like this for their setting, Krynn or otherwise?

Our next campaign will take us to Krynn and a return to a world I haven't visited for a long time. I like to make worlds come alive by including details such as styles of speech, mannerisms, and so on. I don't do accents, but I sat down and found I couldn't find anything to say what makes the languages of most settings such as Dragonlance different. For example, in Dark Sun, I had Half-Giants speaking with such a rumble and bass that it was difficult for most to understand them without the half-giant speaking slowly and enunciating (making them appear even less intelligent than they were already genetically designed).

That said, if you're on Krynn, how is Ergot different from Solamnic, or how should Dwarven sound, or Qualinesti elf? Do all European-based nations have a (bad) British accent and all dwarves a (bad) Scottish one? Would it be out of line to have dwarves with a southern drawl? Has anyone done something like this for their setting, Krynn or otherwise?
Theoretically, based on the lore influences of the campaign, it might be appropriate to have Ergothian speak with a British accent and Solamnians with an American accent and Abanasnians with, I don't know, an Australian accent?

Since the historical relationship of Ergoth -> Solamnia, is very obviously modelled on UK -> USA.

Remove ads