• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

5E: Fifth Edition Monster Variants Inspired by Fourth Edition Sources

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Yep, CR 13 fine - scrap armour is good

even a reaction with recharge 5-6 or 6 is good to add some variety and curb too big an unbalance I guess

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
even a reaction with recharge 5-6 or 6 is good to add some variety and curb too big an unbalance I guess

If you want some variety, how about adding some minor battlefield control power. Like the Fomorian Butcher pushes an opponent away from itself by booting them in the face, shoving with a free hand or shoulder-slamming them.

Maybe modify the Tail-Flick attack of the Gurgohemoth?

Tail-Flick. Melee Weapon Attack: +16 to hit, reach 20 ft., one target. Hit: No damage on hit, but target must make a DC 22 Dexterity or Strength saving throw (target's choice). The target takes 3 (d6) bludgeoning damage on a successful save, but on a failed save the target suffers the following:
 If the target is Large size or smaller, they are thrown a distance of up to 30 ft. (6d6 + 9) in a random direction, or 15 ft. (2d8 + 6) for a Large creature. When the target hits the ground it takes 10 (3d6) falling (bludgeoning) damage and lands prone. If the gurgohemoth flicks its victim over a cliff or into a pit that also causes falling damage, the target takes whichever falling damage rolls higher (do not add the tail-flick's 3d6 falling damage to other falling damage).
 If the target is Huge size or bigger, the tail knocks them over, the target takes 10 (3d6) falling (bludgeoning) damage and falls prone.

So something like…

Actions
Combat Shove. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: The target must make a DC 21 Dexterity or Strength saving throw [or a DC 21 Acrobatics or Athletics check?] (target's choice). The target takes 3 (d6) bludgeoning damage on a successful save, but on a failed save the target suffers the following:​
 If the target is Large size or smaller, they are thrown 20 ft. (4d6 + 6) away from the fomorian butcher, or 10 ft. (2d6 + 3) away for a Large creature, moving in a direction chosen by the giant. When the target hits the ground it takes 7 (2d6) falling (bludgeoning) damage and lands prone. If the butcher shoves its victim over a cliff or into a pit that also causes falling damage, the target takes whichever falling damage rolls higher (do not add the shove's 2d6 falling damage to other falling damage).​
 If the target is Huge size or bigger, the shove knocks them over, the target takes 7 (2d6) falling (bludgeoning) damage and falls prone.​
Reactions
Reaction. If an opponent TRIGGERING CONDITION, the fomorian butcher uses Combat Shove against that opponent as its reaction.​

That has the additional perk of giving the Fomorian a means to apply the Prone condition to an enemy, which makes them vulnerable to its Fomorian Butchery attack. Not that I'm Fomorian Butcher's are sadists that enjoy brutally mutilating Player Characters adventurers. :p

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Oh yes Combat Shove sounds good. Agree on DEX for Butchery.

Reaction. If an opponent moves within melee range of the fomorian butcher, the fomorian butcher uses Combat Shove against that opponent as its reaction.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Oh yes Combat Shove sounds good. Agree on DEX for Butchery.

Reaction. If an opponent moves within melee range of the fomorian butcher, the fomorian butcher uses Combat Shove against that opponent as its reaction.

Works for me. Shall we use the DEX or STR save, the Acrobatics or Athletics check, or both?

Not entirely enamored of the name Combat Shove. It was just the first thing that sprung to my mind. Would be open to changing it if we can come up with something better.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
keep it simple - Acrobatics or Athletics check fine (preferred save to begin with but maybe skills are a better idea.)

"Push and Shove" ..."Aggro Shove" ...."Shoulder Charge" ....or just "Shove"?

Cleon

Legend
keep it simple - Acrobatics or Athletics check fine (preferred save to begin with but maybe skills are a better idea.)

If you prefer the Saves I'm fine keeping that, and it follows standard 5E precedent better.

Monster attack actions aren't usually resisted by Skills.

"Push and Shove" ..."Aggro Shove" ...."Shoulder Charge" ....or just "Shove"?

I like the simplicity of Shove, let's use that.

Remove ads