5e Familiar thread (both warlock and animal/spirit thingies)

Cleon

Legend
I like - wanna wordsmith it or shall I?

Well I think we'll get better results if we back-and-forth the wordsmithing.

Incidentally, I'll be out of contact later today due to beer-related excursions and have multiple things to sort out tomorrow, so I might not post much until the weekend.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Okay...

Heavenscent Breath (Recharge 5-6): The devadragon exhales a puff of energised steam at one creature within 5 feet of it. The target may roll a DC 11 Wisdom saving throw; failure means they go into a healing doze (convalescent narcosis) for one minute, during which time they are at Disadvantage on all Ability and Attack rolls, and can only move at half-speed, at the end of which they gain 5 (1d6+2) hit points. If they make the roll, they remain alert but only heal 3 (1d3+1) hit points. The breath weapon inflicts 2d6 radiant damage on all fiends and undead, with a successful DC 11 wisdom save halving the damage.

Cleon

Legend
Okay...

Heavenscent Breath (Recharge 5-6): The devadragon exhales a puff of energised steam at one creature within 5 feet of it. The target may roll a DC 11 Wisdom saving throw; failure means they go into a healing doze (convalescent narcosis) for one minute, during which time they are at Disadvantage on all Ability and Attack rolls, and can only move at half-speed, at the end of which they gain 5 (1d6+2) hit points. If they make the roll, they remain alert but only heal 3 (1d3+1) hit points. The breath weapon inflicts 2d6 radiant damage on all fiends and undead, with a successful DC 11 wisdom save halving the damage.

Let's see. I'm not that keen on having separate rolls for the healing and I thought we were only going to have it heal an individual once.

Would be clearer if the fiends & undead section was in its own paragraph, and I was thinking they should suffer disadvantage too. I'd prefer the damage to be typeless rather than radiant, since its other breath weapon does radiant damage.

Also prefer "vapour" or "mist" to "steam," which makes me think of scalding.

How about:

Heavenscent Breath (Recharge 5-6). The devadragon exhales a puff of energised mist at one creature within 5 feet of it.​
 A target that is not a fiend or undead immediately regains 1 hit point and enters a blissful delirium for 1d4 rounds. The target may attempt to avoid the delirium by rolling a DC 11 Wisdom saving throw. While delirious, the target regains 1 hit point at the end of each round but has disadvantage on all skill checks and attack rolls. On the target's turn they can choose to leave the blissful delirium as a free action but this also stops the healing. Once a target is healed by heavenscent breath they must take a long rest before they can regain hit points from another puff, but they can still suffer disadvantage from the blissful delirium. A puff of heavenscent breath heals a maximum of 3 (1d4 + 1) hit points to individuals who receive the full 1 to 4 rounds effect.​
 A target that is a fiend or undead takes [10 (3d6) ?] damage and enters a nightmare delirium for 1d4 rounds; if the target makes a DC 11 Wisdom saving throw they take half damage and avoid entering the delirium. While delirious, the target has disadvantage on all skill checks and attack rolls. The fiend or undead target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns. If they succeed, the nightmare delirium ends.​

Hmm, that seems a bit wordy.

Anyhow, I'm not sure about the damage to fiends and undead. I was thinking it ought to be better than the Radiant Breath, since that's its default damage breath weapon. But then, the radiant breath doesn't cause delirium to fiends so it kind of is better!

An inflict wounds does 3d10 (16.5) while a 1st-level cure wounds does 1d8+1 (5.5) suggesting the former does about three times the harm of the latter.

So I guesstimated 3d6 damage for the Heavenscent Breath against fiends. An Imp's sting does 3d6 poison plus 5.5 piercing plus it doesn't need a Recharge roll like its breath does, so that's not too excessive. The Imp sting is still a couple of points more damaging and it can use it at will.

A CR 2 White Dragon Wyrmling is supposedly two or four times nastier than our little angel, depending on whether we go for CR 1/2 or CR 1. It's got three times the HP and similar melee damage but its breath weapon is 22.5 damage plus its saves and AC are better but those are compensated for by its Deva & Imp grade special defences.

Hmm… it doesn't seem right to have the average damage output be identical to a Medium sized dragon wyrmling. Heck, a Gold Dragon wyrmling's melee is less than the Devadragon's at 9.5 average.

Maybe we should reduce the bite to a single point of radiant damage rather than 1d3 and possibly the claws to 1d4?

I'd consider tweaking the Heavenscent damage to Fiends and Undead up to 3d8 or 4d6 damage vs Fiends or Undead so the Devadragon's Heavenbreath does similar damage to an Imp as the Imp's Sting does to a Devadragon. The latter's pretty much "save and die" as it's average damage on a save is higher than the platinum wyrmling's Hit Points.

It might be more prudent to give it Damage Resistance poison so it has about a 50-50 chance of surviving an Imp sting if it saves.

In either case, it's looking like Challenge 1 to me, with stats pretty close to an Imp. That's hardly surprising as we're aiming for a divine opponent for those wee devils.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Ok - challenge 1 is fine by me. Will nerf damage as suggested. "Energizing mist/vapour" is a good name too. "steam" implies heat so wouldn't go with that. Will get a chance to update in a few hours and post.

Cleon

Legend
Ok - challenge 1 is fine by me. Will nerf damage as suggested. "Energizing mist/vapour" is a good name too. "steam" implies heat so wouldn't go with that. Will get a chance to update in a few hours and post.

I think I prefer 1d4 plus 1 radiant for the bite and 1d6 for the claws. What do you think?

[EDIT: For clarification, I mean 1d4 for the base damage - it can still have a +1 or +2 bonus on its bite]

Oh, do you prefer Mist or Vapour? I keep on vacillating between them.

[EDIT: I'll update the Devadragonet with the reduced radiant bite and the Heavenscent Breath.]

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
[EDIT: I'll update the Devadragonet with the reduced radiant bite and the Heavenscent Breath.]

Also put [poison?] in Damage Resistance as a reminder in case we want to improve its imp-resistance.

That only leaves its Radiant Breath. I think its damage and range need a boost. Maybe 2d8 or 3d6 radiant damage? I'm also tempted to make it an area attack rather than single target. How about a 10 ft. line? Then it could attack from just outside the basic melee range of 5 feet and might be able to get two opponents with one blast.

Another idea I had was it is so dazzling it temporarily blinds the target. Kind of a reverse of the Imp. Imps turn invisible so you can't see them, Devadragons dazzle your eyes so you can't see them!

So here's some options:

Radiant Breath #1. The devadragon exhales a glorious beam of light at at one creature within 10 feet of it. The target must make a DC 11 Dexterity saving throw, taking 10 (3d6) radiant damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Radiant Breath #1b. The devadragon exhales a glorious beam of light at at one creature within 10 feet of it. The target must make a DC 11 Dexterity saving throw or take 9 (2d8) radiant damage and be blinded for 1 minute; if they save successfully they take half damage and are not blinded. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the blindness effect on itself on a success.

Radiant Breath #2. The devadragon exhales beams of glorious light in a 10-foot line. Each creature in that area must make a DC 11 Dexterity saving throw, taking 10 (3d6) radiant damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Radiant Breath #2a. The devadragon exhales beams of glorious light in a 10-foot line. Each creature in that area must make a DC 11 Dexterity saving throw or take 7 (2d8) radiant damage and be blinded for 1 minute; if they save successfully they take half damage and are not blinded. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the blindness effect on itself on a success.​

Do you like any of those? We can always tweak the damage a bit.

I did wonder about adding "Radiant breath does no damage to celestial creatures but can still blind them" to them as an inversion of the Heavenscent breath's extra effect on fiends and undead. Do you think that's worth doing?

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
I think "vapour" has more of an implied potency than mist now I think of it...ok tweaked thus - bite nerfed and nightmare delirium buffed to 4d6:

cross-posted (damn!)

Attachments

• celestialdragonet4.png
    celestialdragonet4.png
    516.7 KB · Views: 65

Cleon

Legend
I think "vapour" has more of an implied potency than mist now I think of it...ok tweaked thus - bite nerfed and nightmare delirium buffed to 4d6:

I was proposing 1d4+2 piercing plus 1 radiant for the bite, or possibly 1d4+1 piercing plus 1 radiant.

4d6 for the delirium is roughly par damage-wise with an Imp's stinger damage, so it works for me!

ok, given it's pretty small, am thinking Radiant Breath should be restricted to one opponent, so my vote is 1b

Okay, in that case I'm leaning towards the higher damage option of 10 (3d6) since the nightmare delirium does 14 (4d6).

Will we use the suggestion of it doing no damage to celestials?

Remove ads