5E: Converting Monsters from White Dwarf Magazine for Fifth Edition

Cleon

Legend

Armour Class should be 17, not 19.

There's an unsightly gap in the Description before the "There are unverified reports" paragraph.

Rest looks fine.

Hold on, I think Power Building could do with a rewording.

Now I read it again "The gray sqaarg increase its Might score by 5 or increase the Might score of another gray sqaarg by 5 by applying its own Strength to the sqaarg's Waxing Might" is really clunky.

How about:

Power Building. The sqaarg applies its +5 Strength modifier to a sqaarg's Waxing Might ability, either its own or another sqaarg within 5 feet. This increases the Might score by 5.​

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Three more?

One:
Example: if a druid (...)

Hold. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: If the target (...)

": if" or ": If"?

Not really sure how this works in English, but shouldn't it be either the one or the other?

Two:
It appears to be crudely moulded out of clay but is actually made of solid stone.

(...) more types of sqaarg than the grays, with other colors of sqaarg filling (...)
I was wondering about the use of British/Canadian/Australian spelling and American spelling. Shouldn't it be "molded" (wiktionary) if you use "colors" (and "gray sqaarg" instead of "grey sqaarg")?

Three:
Gray sqaargs were created by a long extinct dwarf dwarf culture.
Double "dwarf" > single "dwarf"

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
": if" or ": If"?

Not really sure how this works in English, but shouldn't it be either the one or the other?

It's OK either way, and whether to go uppercase or lowercase is more a matter of personal preference (or a style guide if you're writing for an organization).

That said, I should really be consistent and prefer uppercase for both, and the Chicago Manual of Style appears to agree with me.

I was wondering about the use of British/Canadian/Australian spelling and American spelling. Shouldn't it be "molded" (wiktionary) if you use "colors" (and "gray sqaarg" instead of "grey sqaarg")?

I aim to use US spelling in posted monster conversions since that's what the Creature Catalog uses, but in my other posts I use "English English" so to speak.

So it should be molded rather than the UK/Canadian moulded.

Will change that.

As for the "Gray" issue, that's how the original monster spelled it and D&D has US publications with it, such as the Gray Ooze, so I wouldn't change them all to Grey.

Double "dwarf" > single "dwarf"

Triple Dang it…

…Updating the Gray Sqaarg.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Ok to here

As far as finishing that issue - micemen (micefolk I guess) are really vanilla as is..cyclops I quite like but too close to cyclops that already exist and would require some explanation/change to differentiate.

Dragon Warriors are interesting - as a monster, trap or one-shot magic item so I think they have legs

Last edited:

Remove ads