• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

5E: Converting Monsters from White Dwarf Magazine for Fifth Edition

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Agree re oxford comma. I hate it but found it useful when writing wikipedia articles as one has to slot in refs behind punctuation points, so made this easy to do "e.g. Species X is found in location A,B, and C."

Cleon

Legend
Agree re oxford comma. I hate it but found it useful when writing wikipedia articles as one has to slot in refs behind punctuation points, so made this easy to do "e.g. Species X is found in location A,B, and C."

So any changes or additions you fancy for the Dragon Warriors, or are we ready to proceed to the Description and separate entries?

ilgatto

How inconvenient
A dragon warrior can repair its own dragonscale items by spending a Hit Dice
a Hit Dice > a Hit Die
a Hit Dice > Hit Dice

the warrior does not regain hit points from the spent Hit Die but any dragonscale item are fully repaired and maintained
item is
items are

Dust to Dust. If the dragon warrior dies, its body and dragonscale equipment immediately crumbles to dust. If any part of its body, including an item of dragonscale equipment, is separated from the dragon warrior for more than 1 minute it will also crumble into dust
crumble or crumbles?
crumble to dust or crumble into dust?

Counterstrike. If an opponent the dragon warrior can see makes a melee attack against it while the dragon warrior is wielding a melee weapon, the dragon warrior ripostes that attack by using a bonus action or action from its next turn to make a melee attack with that weapon. In addition to the attack's normal effects, if the dragon warrior's melee attack roll is higher than its opponent's melee attack roll or a critical hit, the opponent's attack misses and does no damage.
 If the dragon warrior counterstrikes with an action that makes more than one attack, such as Multiattack, the action's first melee attack occurs on its reaction when it ripostes, and the warrior's remaining melee attacks occur on its next turn.
Cool maneuver.

Last edited:

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Oh, and I'd better rename the Dragon Warrior (Collected) entry to Dragon Warriors.

EDIT: Updated the Dragon Warriors, during which I noticed that I'd left the STR save proficiency of the initial draft in despite it saying " Saving Throws proficient in DEX, CON, WIS, CHA."

Instead of:

 STR +7 if red, gold or silver; STR +5 if black, blue, brass, bronze, copper, green or white​

It should have:

 DEX +5 if gold; DEX +4 if black or silver; DEX +3 if green or red; DEX +2 if blue, brass, bronze, copper or white​

I'd fixed it before, but I'm editing that post in a temp Word file on my computer and forgot to save the correction, so it just reverted to the erroneous STR save when I overwrote the Enworld post with subsequent copy-pastes from the temp version.

Never mind, it's correct now!

EDITED EDIT:

By the way, most official D&D books and the SRD use the "Oxford comma", aka the Serial comma, since they're published in American English and many folk over there consider it mandatory.

However, I prefer avoid using Oxford commas unless it's vital for clarity, since on those shores it's more a matter of taste and it just looks wrong to me.

Consider the difference in the DEX save line:

Without Serial Commas DEX +5 if gold; DEX +4 if black or silver; DEX +3 if green or red; DEX +2 if blue, brass, bronze, copper or white​
Includes Oxford Commas DEX +5 if gold; DEX +4 if black, or silver; DEX +3 if green, or red; DEX +2 if blue, brass, bronze, copper, or white​

Shudder. The second version with serial commas just looks fugly.
Not an expert, but isn't it true that the Oxford comma wouldn't be used in "if black or silver"? As opposed to in "blue, brass, bronze, copper, or white"?

Cleon

Legend
Not an expert, but isn't it true that the Oxford comma wouldn't be used in "if black or silver"? As opposed to in "blue, brass, bronze, copper, or white"?

Yeah, come to think of it the rule only applies if you have three or more items [EDIT: likely forgot because I never use the dang things unless forced to], so it'd be:

Includes Oxford Commas DEX +5 if gold; DEX +4 if black or silver; DEX +3 if green or red; DEX +2 if blue, brass, bronze, copper, or white​

Which is less offensive to mine eyes.

Still, I'm leaving it without any serial commas.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
a Hit Dice > a Hit Die
a Hit Dice > Hit Dice

item is
items are

crumble or crumbles?
crumble to dust or crumble into dust?

Cool maneuver.

Could you have mentioned some of those before I did ten copies of them in the separate Dragon Warrior entries! :mad:

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Could you have mentioned some of those before I did ten copies of the in the separate Dragon Warrior entries! :mad:

Anyhow, it's only the Die/Dice issue that's grammatically incorrect and I'll change it… …changed!

It's now:

 Damage to dragonscale equipment does not affect the dragon warrior's own hit points. A dragon warrior can repair its own dragonscale items by spending a Hit Die at the end of a Short Rest; the warrior does not regain hit points from the spent Hit Die, but its dragonscale items are fully repaired and maintained. If the dragon warrior's dragonscale armor or dragonscale longsword are lost or destroyed (see Dust to Dust), the dragon warrior can grow a replacement after finishing a Long Rest by spending one Hit Die for a new sword, two Hit Dice for new armor, or three Hit Dice for both.​

A more important error was that it should have had "at the end of a Short Rest;" instead of "at the end on a Short Rest;" an error I was sure I'd already spotted and corrected.

The crumble/crumbles to/into is fine. Any of the four arrangements (crumble to/crumbles to/crumble into/crumbles into) are valid in English.

Didn't use the same one twice just to mix it up a bit. The wording was boring enough already!

Remove ads