• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your best fight vs. Goblins

DrunkonDuty

he/him
At the other end of the spectrum in terms of power but no less ubiquitous is the humble goblin. Who hasn't had to tangle with these cunning little rat b@st@rds at some point? So why not tell us about it?

I'll start off.

Many years ago, 1ed, a large party, 7 or 8 IIRC, of 1st level characters under the leadership of a 3rd level NPC ranger. We're on a deep patrol, going to be out for a week or more and we've been told there's goblins about. On our second night out we camp in the ruins of an old temple. It's little more than 4 walls with holes in them. The largest hole, where the main doors were, is a pile of rubble with some bushes growing in it. A couple of fallen pillars lie on the broken tiles.

We'd settled down for the night when the guards hear a large party approaching. Goblins! Fifty of them! We can't run so we fortify. The broken pillars are pushed in front of smaller holes in the walls and we empty all our oil on the bushes growing in the main door way. Then we split our forces to guard the entrances. Most are near the oil soaked bushes with a one on each of the other holes and a couple as a reserve in case of a break through.

The goblins hit us in waves, trying to break through one gap or another. Eventually they break through the largest gap, one or two of our guys going down. The reserve rushes in and the line holds long enough for a hurled torch to set the bushes on fire, killing several of the green skinned bastards. The few goblins on the wrong side of the fire are quickly killed.

By this time we'd accounted for over half the goblins but our forces were down to half as well, the rest of us walking wounded. The goblins resort to sniping tactics and the long wait for dawn begins. After hours of this our leader, in despair, stands in the east facing doorway and looks for the sunrise. There's a twang of bow strings and four arrows sprout from his body. He turns as as if to say something to me then falls and dies.

With that our morale was broken. Suddenly everyone was looking to save themselves, looking to escape. The first couple out didn't get far as the goblins swooped down on them. Seeing them under attack I snuck out the far side of the building and ran for it, striking down one goblin on the way out.

The next day I met up with a couple of other survivors. Foolishly we decide to go on and found a dungeon to explore. The entrance was under the altar in the old temple.

25 years ago and I still remember that fight. The whole goblin attack was meant to make us look for a secret door to escape through and thus lead to the dungeon. The dungeon I don't remember at all.

So who else has a good goblin tale to tell?

Raven Crowking

First Post
Not too horribly dissimilar from yours, actually.

The party was returning to Selby-by-the-Water with the skull of St. Brendan, a holy relic that could cure an outbreak of cholera caused by part of the town collapsing. (The collapse was caused by aboleths.) The party had been warned that there were goblins in the area, and they had encountered evidence that the warnings were true. In my world, goblins sometimes keep livestock called greywethers -- carnivorous sheep that they release to the surface to "graze" during the day.

The party decides to camp at an old rath, which is at this point no more than a mound surrounded by earth walls, a ditch outside the walls (filled with brambles), a ring of stones where a tower once stood inside the walls, and a well inside the ring of stones. Of course, what they didn't realize was that the goblin warren was located under the rath, and that one of the entrances was down the well.

What followed was a tense fight against waves of goblins, where the party used the terrain to its best advantage. When they realized that goblins were climbing out of the well, they shut that down quickly enough, too!

(Eventually I'll update my story hour to include that session. :eek: )

RC

kensanata

Explorer
We were 15 or 16 years old and our school had a project week and we had managed to propose "roleplaying games" as a topic. And we were accepted! So we had five days to play in a class room with no teacher and about 10 newbies in addition to our regular group. I ran a group into the example dungeon from the 1st ed DMG I think. I can't quite remember. All I know is that I had a group of 15 goblins in one of the rooms hoping the party would parley or intimidate or sneak past... But they decided to fight. Again and again. When they finally made it through I think we had gone through thirteen player characters... I guess both DM and players were extremely stubborn back then. :)

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
This isn't so much a fight with goblins, as it is a fight playing goblins. This is back in 1E days.

We did a Reverse Dungeon once, with half the group playing monsters, the other half PC's. Each Monster Player choose one minor monster, one mid-level, and one high level. My low-level monster was a troupe of goblins. Another player took a vampire as his high-level monster, and someone had a doppleganger as their mid-level monster.

The PC's entered the dungeon, and things almost immediately went to hell in a handbasket. The doppleganger tried to insinuate his way into the party in one of the first rooms, and the vampire decided to use the distraction to try to get some feeding in.

My troupe of goblins came trotting around the corner, in true wandering monster style, and saw all of this chaos as a perfect opportunity to bottom-feed. The leader of the goblins yelled "charge!" and charged.

The PC Ranger took him down with one swipe from his magical axe.

The next goblin in line yelled, "Yay! I'm in charge! Go get him!"

And the ranger flung his axe at him killing him with one blow.

The next goblin in line picked up the axe, and yelled, "I have a magical axe! I'm the leader!"

And the magical axe of returning teleported back to its owner (the ranger) with the new goblin leader still holding on to it, and the ranger punched him, killing him with one blow.

Ever since, my goblins have been played pretty much as the Keystone Cops.

Last edited:

Raven Crowking

First Post
Another fun bit was when the party was camping, and heard noises in the bushes. It was an unarmed goblin carrying a big bag filled with bits of scrap iron. He didn't want to fight. He didn't want to talk. He just wanted to get away. And, of course, in his view the PCs were just bandits waylaying an innocent goblin.....

He was an apprentice to a goblin smith in the area. The smith wasn't affiliated with any particular clan, and would even work for humans. I gave him levels in expert and adept so that he could craft magical weapons.

Monsters you get to talk to are always fun.

Monsters who want something other than a straight-up, knock-down brawl are great for a campaign.

RC

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
In a more recetn campaign, the party wizard charmed a goblin servant in a castle they were infiltrating, and then sent him to the library with instructions to come back "with any books that lok interesting" quote-unquote.

He came back an hour later with every book with pictures of scantily clad elves he could find.

Greg V

First Post
The siege of Sukiskyn in Night's Dark Terror. Maybe the single-greatest goblin battle of all time. I updated it for 3.5 rules and played throguh it at a Game Day a year or so ago. Still just as fun and maybe moreso with actual tactical rules to go with the big battlemat of the fortified homestead.

Loonook

First Post
Again... I keep getting all of these posts which match the very articles I am writing on the Good Gaming Thread :).

Okay, best goblin fight... probably was when one of my groups decided to invade a small enclave of goblins positioned in a desert environ. Many of the goblins were statted well, using both standard Goblin builds and the Goblin 2.0 proposed in one of my articles. There were also a handful of others (adepts, I believe one or two fighters and a single ranger) all decamped after a siege against a fallen household of nobles who had decided to welch on their payment to the goblin lord who ran this group.

The PCs, seeing some gear and signs that the goblins had raided a noble house, decide to approach. They were around 6th level, and thought it would be a good show.

Then, the fighting began to happen. Quickly, the PCs were knee-deep in danger, fighting hip-to-hip to protect themselves from flanking maneuvers being used by the more intelligent group to wheel them around and force a closure to a pincer. The goblin cavalry were lying in wait over a dune, having picked up the commotion while they watering their mounts at a good-sized oasis. Some salvoes were hurled back and forth, and then . . .

Well, the PCs lost a man. Targeted attacks dropped the mage about 5 rounds into it. The Cleric, herself a somewhat dangerous combatant, decided to wade in and hopefully heal the mage in time. The Cleric (mounted) was flanked by the party's mounted ranger, using mounted archery to full effect against the mooks. The cleric casts . . . and fails her caster check, an adept cackling and raising its hands towards her.

The Cleric gets tangled in a volley, laying low the adept while the ranger (thankfully, with a heal prepped as his one spell for the day, gets the wizard to his feet. A few salvoes, and the goblin infantry (and support) retreat . . .

Leaving the party to fend off 2 Goblin Warrior 5 built around the mounted archery dynamic. Curved bows, fierce fighting, and a well-placed early fireball are the only things that make it manageable. The party is happy beyond belief to just be alive when the other fighter (a rogue 2/Fighter X blend) finally comes back from a long phone conversation.

And promptly gets screamed at by the mage and cleric, who are at the end of their spells/day dealing with healing, recouping, and general recovery.

However, it was a good first-run for a few of the mainstay goblin archetypes I use in my campaign, and later interactions with that tribe (and pair of shadow-dancing leaders) were some of the most fun had on Zajahran.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Greg V: I'm not familiar with the adventure. ANy details?

Loonook: glad to be of use. I'm enjoying the good gaming articles myself.

cheers,
Glen

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads