• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wow- I've been messing up retraining...

The Human Target

Adventurer
since day one.

I've been allowing (and thinking it was correct) PCs to retrain lower level powers with higher level powers each time they gain a new higher level one.

So that a fifth level character can have two level 5 dailies if they want.

And now I'm not sure if I prefer the actual rules or not.

Weird.

Danceofmasks

First Post
Well, just tell the players that you've made an error, and if no one minds you can just keep playing that way.
With the proviso that if the game gets broken, ppl have to revert to RAW.

Starfox

Hero
Just stop using the rule. Any character changes from now on uses the "right" rules - it will work out in the end.

Or just keep going.

Whatever is fun!

Baumi

Adventurer
I think it's ok as long as you stay in the same tier, since the power's are (mostly) balanced regarding to the tier instead of level. But be careful when you jump to the next tier because then the damage and effects will suddenly increase.

since day one.

I've been allowing (and thinking it was correct) PCs to retrain lower level powers with higher level powers each time they gain a new higher level one.

So that a fifth level character can have two level 5 dailies if they want.

And now I'm not sure if I prefer the actual rules or not.

Weird.
I wonder how common this is? I had read it the same way, but was corrected by someone on these boards, luckily before DMing my first game.

Paul Strack

First Post
The most important part of play balance is that the PCs are balanced against each other. In theory, your PCs should all have similar abilities. You can adjust the monsters so that they will provide a challenge to the group.

So, if your group prefers it, stick with your current retraining rules. I don't think it will be game-breaking if you also up the monsters a bit. That said, I think the RAW rules make more sense myself.

Dracorat

First Post
FWIW, it IS permissible to "train up" feats through retraining to higher tier feats.

So, it's possible to end up with no heroic tier feats by the end (aside from any auto-granted ones, like armor proficiencies, which could never be retrained).

The Human Target

Adventurer
FWIW, it IS permissible to "train up" feats through retraining to higher tier feats.

So, it's possible to end up with no heroic tier feats by the end (aside from any auto-granted ones, like armor proficiencies, which could never be retrained).

Yeah which is one of the reasons I think I got the power retraining wrong.

Now it is possible to gain more high level powers when you gain the paragon and epic levels that let you replace an attack or daily power with one of any level equal to yours or lower. But you can never ever replace a utility with a utility of a higher level.

Which just seems off to me. I don't know why a 7th level wizard shouldn't be able to switch out his 3rd level Shock Sphere power for the 7th level Fireburst power if he wants to at 7th level.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Which just seems off to me. I don't know why a 7th level wizard shouldn't be able to switch out his 3rd level Shock Sphere power for the 7th level Fireburst power if he wants to at 7th level.

If he wants? Level 7 encounter powers are just better than level 3. Of course he wants to swap them if allowed to. He also wants to qualify for feats without needing the required attributes and would love unlimited Healing Surge.

A certain song comes to mind.

Dracorat

First Post
Yeah which is one of the reasons I think I got the power retraining wrong.

Now it is possible to gain more high level powers when you gain the paragon and epic levels that let you replace an attack or daily power with one of any level equal to yours or lower. But you can never ever replace a utility with a utility of a higher level.

Even then, you can't change all of those either until they are changed through the level up changes. You will be with low level dailies etc for a while.

But feats - you can change one a level every level if it suits your fancy!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads