• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would these two feats mix well?

Mistah J

First Post
Imagine:

Feat A says "when making a ranged attack, you use your Int modifer instead of Dex"
Feat B says "when making a ranged attack you use double your Dex modifier"

A player in your game has chosen both feats for her character. Do you think they stack? I.E. the net result is the character uses double their Int. modifier on ranged attacks?

Discuss!

(Note: I have no idea if these are real feats, it's just a hypothetical situation to see how people think these kinds of rules interact with each other).

Rhun

First Post
I'm not sure I'd allow feat B in a game of mine at all, even if it did exist. With that said, it it was allowed, I would likely allow the feats to work together.

Celebrim

Legend
The problem with this is that it is easy to see the authors intent in both feats. However, the author's intent in the interaction between the feats is not clear. This is actually a pretty common problem in 3.5 just because there are so many authors and so much material.

For me, I feel perfectly free to rewrite anything I touch because I'm more concerned as a DM with how I want it to work than I am with how the author intended it to work.

I would therefore rewrite the feats to make the interaction clear.

So Feat 1 would probably say something technical like:

"Benefit: Your ranged attacks may use Intelligence as the 'to hit' attribute bonus instead of your usual attribute bonus.
Normal: Ranged attacks normally have Dexterity as the modifying attribute for ranged 'to hit' rolls."

And Feat 2 would probably say something equally technical:

"Benefit: When making ranged attacks, you may add twice the relevant attribute bonus (normally your Dexterity bonus) when calculating your ranged 'to hit' bonus.
Normal: You add the relevant attribute bonus only once when calculating ranged 'to hit'."

I should point out that because of these sorts of awkward interactions, I'm pretty much unlikely to create or use either feat. I'm much more likely to simply have a feat like

"Benefit: You may add your Intelligence bonus to your 'to hit' roll in addition to your Dexterity bonus when making ranged attacks."

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
OK, here you go.

I don't have a problem with Insight Archery really...could be handy for those wizardly types (of course, that could make ranged touch attacks a bit more accurate than they already are).

Easy Peasy Archery is overpowered, though. You get an archer or something with a +4 dex bonus, and suddenly they have a +8 attack bonus without even considering anything but their attribute.

kitcik

Adventurer
Yes, I totally agree with both comments (hence the sarcastic name of Easy Peasy Archery). I was just posting them to help Deset Gled with his analysis.

I could see a PrC with like a 7th level class ability similar to Easy Peasy Archery, but certainly not a feat - unless it had a pile of difficult prerequisites. We really don't know anything about the possible prereq's in the OP's post since he only showed partial feats. We can infer their intended use, but inferring prereq's is pretty tough...

Remove ads