• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC WotC posts generative AI FAQ: "We do not allow the use of generative AI in our art"

Vaalingrade

Legend
While writing is an art, in this context art means images; art in this context, conversely, is also not writing.

Really, it's two different uses of the word 'art'--its usage as an umbrella term for all of human creativity, and it's usage as a term referring to the creation of images. In this case, they are using the second meaning.
Well yeah, but my point was that that choice was very much intentional so they can act like they're respecting artists while still using AI to replace the artists no one considers to be artists.

Dire Bare

Legend
Explain how you think a multi-billion dollar company is not going to leverage AI after they directly said they would.
AI is a term that encompasses a lot of different technologies and functions.

Will WotC utilize AI in some form or fashion? Of course. The details beyond what they've shared with us is nothing but speculation.

Right now, on Amazon.com, the product reviews are getting AI summaries. A brief paragraph that summarizes the grand total of thousands of reviews. This is the type of writing I don't mind AI taking over.

WotC is very unlikely to use AI to generate a future D&D title. I trust them when they say they won't use AI generated art, visual or written, in the creation of new D&D content. It's in their best interest to avoid that mess.

But we will see AI DM assistants . . . they already exist, just not from WotC . . . we might see AI tools that can help us design monsters, classes, feats, etc. An AI art generator trained on WotC-owned art for fans to use is very likely.

While WotC has made many missteps over the past few years . . . but the use of AI has been only a minor issue. In almost every case, its been the ARTISTS that WotC contracted with that used AI in some fashion. This is one area where my worries are very few.

Dire Bare

Legend

It boils down to them saying they're consistent in their policies -- "don't do it, artists" -- but both WotC staff and artists make mistakes.

Not addressed is the recent corporate announcement that they'll be training AI on the D&D back catalog for use in creation of future products.

(Also, for the "no one outside ENWorld cares about WotC controversies" crowd, do check the Facebook comments for this announcement. Lots of people are mad about the DDB a la carte options going away.)
Thanks for the link.

I really like everything about that FAQ. It's a good approach.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
But we will see AI DM assistants . . . they already exist, just not from WotC . . . we might see AI tools that can help us design monsters, classes, feats, etc.
Honestly, I'd love if they just started by releasing the spreadsheet that I dearly hope they're using in-house for monster design. It seems likely that many people would disagree with some of their assumptions, but it'd be nice to have it all laid out in Google Sheets form.

Automating a spreadsheet I guess could be called AI, but it's a pretty established technology that, yeah, would be of a great deal of use to many DMs.

Explain how you think a multi-billion dollar company is not going to leverage AI after they directly said they would.
Hasbro only expressed Interest at most, and are not WotC, who don’t seem to be interested and even shut down AI DMs as an idea.

Like there are so many posts complaining about things that haven’t happened yet. The stuff about the 2024 version of 5e most of all.

Vexorg

Explorer
Anyone else think it's suspicious that they posted an FAQ saying "we might make mistakes" right before the PHB previews start?

If they caught their artists using AI, even with the policy against it, it's probably too late to fix it.

Oofta

Legend
Anyone else think it's suspicious that they posted an FAQ saying "we might make mistakes" right before the PHB previews start?

If they caught their artists using AI, even with the policy against it, it's probably too late to fix it.
Heaven forbid that they acknowledge that they aren't perfect an may miss something. I don't see the point of looking for something to be offended by when they've taken a strong stance against AI art in their books. I think most companies that pay for artwork are struggling with this, it can be incredibly difficult to detect.

Remove ads