WotC WotC needs an Elon Musk

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
And just to say, I've used Hero System to run Harn games and Traveller games, and it works extremely well for those. Cinematic style fighting doesn't work for everyone, but it suits my groups to a "T". When you become a Hero nerd (like myself) you catch yourself counting Turns in a movie fight scene and working out how the attacks would go in a Hero System combat. That's how I try to train myself to DM the fights in a more entertaining fashion!

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Damage on a miss

Bob Odenkirk Action GIF by Nobody

If one goes with HP involve no meat, is all current damage except the part taking you below 0 already damage on a miss?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
In theory could it be improved? I suppose. But the only option that people keep bringing up is to split it into two numbers. I just don't see significant advantage to splitting HP into two numbers based on some arbitrary logic.
Thing is, even though I use a Body-Fatigue system about 98% of the time it's still just one number, that being the total of the two.

If my character has 4 BP and 33 FP, most of the time I only need to know it's got 37 HP total. Only if I go below 0 (death is at -10) do I need to worry about how many BP I have, separate from FP.
Based on other's people's posts it didn't work very well for Star Wars either.
From what I gather, in the SW system too many damage sources went straight to Wound Points, bypassing Vitality, which kinda defeats the point.

glass

(he, him)
This is also something I dislike. I hate Schrodinger's damage which is both deadly and not more than a minor inconvenience until we observe it.
Damage has always, back to 1974, either been fatal or something you shrug off with a modicum of rest. Exactly how much rest has come down from (potentially) a few weeks to one night. But anything you can shrug off in a couple of weeks without medical attention is not a serious injury, any more than anything you can shrug off overnight.

Have you hated hp since 1974?

Much like "realistic hit point system" is an oxymoron.
While no RPG combat system can ever be perfectly realistic, hit points are probably more realistic than other practicable options (certainly more so that death spirals).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
While no RPG combat system can ever be perfectly realistic, hit points are probably more realistic than other practicable options (certainly more so that death spirals).
How so?

Death spirals - where the more damage you take the worse you become at keeping yourself alive - are also quite realistic, particularly if one thinks of situations where the damage includes actual injuries affecting movement, flexibility, ability to attack, and so forth.

Obviously, the win condition then becomes putting one's opponent into a faster death spiral than your own. :)

Oofta

Legend
How so?

Death spirals - where the more damage you take the worse you become at keeping yourself alive - are also quite realistic, particularly if one thinks of situations where the damage includes actual injuries affecting movement, flexibility, ability to attack, and so forth.

Obviously, the win condition then becomes putting one's opponent into a faster death spiral than your own. :)
Are death spirals realistic though? There are plenty of stories of people in combat being shot and not even realizing it until after the fighting had died down. Other stories talking about two people dueling with swords, the winner walks away only to keel over dead a minute later.

Never having been in a fight to the death (although my cat may beg to differ when we try to cut her nails), I have no clue if there's a death spiral or how often there is not one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads