• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC WotC needs an Elon Musk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oofta

Legend
Except those deep puncture wounds disappear after a long rest, just like the scratches. You can describe injuries however you want, but the reality of the rules treats it all the same.
Have you ever watched an action movie? The hero gets shot in the shoulder and "it's just a flesh wound". They have a sling for a bit but then when the action starts up a bit they take off the sling, wince for a moment to remind you they were just shot and they're good as new. Bonus points if they rip out IV needles and say something like "I don't have time to be in the hospital!"

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Have you ever watched an action movie? The hero gets shot in the shoulder and "it's just a flesh wound". They have a sling for a bit but then when the action starts up a bit they take off the sling, wince for a moment to remind you they were just shot and they're good as new. Bonus points if they rip out IV needles and say something like "I don't have time to be in the hospital!"
Sure, except, I don't see D&D as an action movie, and I'd love it if the rules didn't insist that it is.

Oofta

Legend
Sure, except, I don't see D&D as an action movie, and I'd love it if the rules didn't insist that it is.
Yeah, I gave up seeing it as much more than an action movie long ago. I still use the gritty rest rules and describe most wounds as minor bruises, strains and scratches that add up. But there's just stuff that's not realistic, like getting knocked unconscious not having any long term effects, especially when it happens [edit]long term repeatedly[/edit]. That, and in my campaign world part of people's recovery is literally magical. It only makes sense that creatures living in a world with magic would evolve ways to incorporate it, even if it's not in obvious ways.

I can either adjust my thinking and expectations or I would have to find a different game. I'm too lazy to find another game and I enjoy D&D so here we are.

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Yeah, I gave up seeing it as much more than an action movie long ago. I still use the gritty rest rules and describe most wounds as minor bruises, strains and scratches that add up. But there's just stuff that's not realistic, like getting knocked unconscious not having any long term effects, especially when it happens long term. That, and in my campaign world part of people's recovery is literally magical. It only makes sense that creatures living in a world with magic would evolve ways to incorporate it, even if it's not in obvious ways.

I can either adjust my thinking and expectations or I would have to find a different game. I'm too lazy to find another game and I enjoy D&D so here we are.
I am very happy that you're enjoying 5e as-is. That is not  exactly what I want, however, so I have and am making numerous adjustments to the game to bring it closer to what I want, while staying familiar enough so that my players don't have to learn an entire new system.

At the risk of repeating myself, those action movie flesh wounds... are not flesh wounds. They are a plot device that fits that medium. It looks cool in Die Hard when John McClane shreds his feet after Severus Snape makes the call to SHOOT THE GLASS... but there is no realism to that. To pretend those are 'real life' flesh wounds... that just doesn't make sense. If someone absolutely must translate that highly unrealistic scene into D&D terms, then those injuries are hit points, not meat points.

I am very happy that you're enjoying 5e as-is. That is not  exactly what I want, however, so I have and am making numerous adjustments to the game to bring it closer to what I want, while staying familiar enough so that my players don't have to learn an entire new system.
The one thing I'll say I've struggled with in 5e that used to be much easier is having characters build ties in a town. In AD&D, you didn't heal to full after a night of sleep and instead only healed like 2 or 3 HP per day, possibly plus your CON modifier? I forget, it's been awhile. This created more downtime, so IME players were more likely to get into town activities to fill the time. In 5e? A good night's sleep heals all wounds, so it's on to the next location!

I'm not saying these social activities in town are impossible in 5e and I've had characters in 5e pursue normal activities in town such as becoming a brewer, it just doesn't seem to come as naturally as it did in 2e when the game rules sorta enforced players had to spend time resting between adventures.

FallenRX

Adventurer
The one thing I'll say I've struggled with in 5e that used to be much easier is having characters build ties in a town. In AD&D, you didn't heal to full after a night of sleep and instead only healed like 2 or 3 HP per day, possibly plus your CON modifier? I forget, it's been awhile. This created more downtime, so IME players were more likely to get into town activities to fill the time. In 5e? A good night's sleep heals all wounds, so it's on to the next location!

I'm not saying these social activities in town are impossible in 5e and I've had characters in 5e pursue normal activities in town such as becoming a brewer, it just doesn't seem to come as naturally as it did in 2e when the game rules sorta enforced players had to spend time resting between adventures.
To be fair Gritty Realism, and slow naturally healing make this work basically

I don't think excusing a bad mechanic with an accidentally beneficial side effect helps anyone.

Oofta

Legend

In our games the time it took to heal was more a factor of how many healing spells the cleric could cast per day or how many potions we wanted to drink.

There are downtime rules in the DMG. May not be the best but I do use a variation and just tell people things like "It's going to be 6 months until the next week of excitement, think about what you're going to do in your downtime." If you want people to slow down long enough to make connections, you can.

Don't want PCs rushing off to the next location immediately? It's late fall in the winter and the pass is closed. You don't have a map to the next location or you're having a new magic item crafted and it's going to take a while. It's all personal preference of course, I tend to do city based campaigns where the majority of the campaign is in the same city, or at least the same region with a home base in the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads