D&D (2024) WotC Fireside Chat: Revised 2024 Player’s Handbook

Book is near-final and includes psionic subclasses, and illustrations of named spell creators.

IMG_3405.jpeg

In this video about the upcoming revised Player’s Handnook, WotC’s Jeremy Crawford and Chris Perkins reveal a few new tidbits.
  • The books are near final and almost ready to go to print
  • Psionic subclasses such as the Soulknife and Psi Warrior will appear in the core books
  • Named spells have art depicting their creators.
  • There are new species in the PHB.

Regarding the Dragonborn, they are an example of "ordinary magic". Yes, they are literally created by means of magic (shapeshifted Dragon egg) and are remarkable, but overall are comparable to ordinary reallife humans, hence merit the Humanoid creature type.
Even though they are humanoid in shape, I have felt from time to time that the Dragonborn should have had the Dragon type instead. :)

As for the Shapeshifted Dragon Egg part, there was a 3pp accessory during the 3e era that talked about a magical means of shaping the unborn Dragon while it was still in the egg. It was called 'Egg Sculpting'. 😋

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Even though they are humanoid in shape, I have felt from time to time that the Dragonborn should have had the Dragon type instead. :)

As for the Shapeshifted Dragon Egg part, there was a 3pp accessory during the 3e era that talked about a magical means of shaping the unborn Dragon while it was still in the egg. It was called 'Egg Sculpting'. 😋
Sounds neat. Do you know what supplement? I have a ton on pdf.

Yaarel

He Mage
If you look at the examples of what a wish can do in 5E, it's nowhere near powerful enough to split a mountain in two. Even if it is possible in a specific campaign, you can do it maybe a few times in your life. After the first time you do it, it's pretty debilitating and includes a 33% chance you can never cast the spell again.

I still wouldn't want it at epic levels because splitting a mountain in two is something that is impressive even for Thor in Norse mythology that I base my campaign on. Power level is, of course, up to the group to decide.
Heh, even if one could "cleave a mountain" at-will, how often would this happen? At a certain point, one would run out of mountains.

But it wouldnt need to be at-will. The ability to cleave a mountain might be a kind of ritual requiring a skill check, or whatever means to limit its frequency if necessary.

Where Thor is the actual thunderstorms, the manifestation in a human form is moreorless equal to a human, albeit an Epic tier human. I agree with your sense of implied limitations.

Yaarel

He Mage

Yes.

Same goes with other player species. If suitable for play, they are "Humanoid".

Dragonborn = both Dragon and Humanoid

Elves = Fey and Humanoid
Dwarf = Elemental and Humanoid
Gnome = Fey and Humanoid
Goblin = Fey and Humanoid
Tiefling = Fiend and Humanoid
Genasi = Elemental and Humanoid
Aarakocra = Beast and Humanoid

etcetera.

For some reason 5e 2014 avoids this. But how difficult can it be to have good mechanical rules explaining what to do when more than one type?

If the Dragonborn as they are now were created for 3e/PF1 and had the Dragon type, they would have been immune to any spell that targeted the Humanoid type and anything that could magically put them to sleep or paralyze them. They also would have had Darkvision 60' and Low-Light vision.

In 5e, they could have had a Draconic equivalent to the Fey Ancestry trait plus Darkvision.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
If the Dragonborn as they are now were created for 3e/PF1 and had the Dragon type, they would have been immune to any spell that targeted the Humanoid type and anything that could magically put them to sleep or paralyze them. They also would have had Darkvision 60' and Low-Light vision.
I would like to see the "ritual" design space split away from the "spell" design space.

The ritual is more like "magical rituals" of folklore and fantasy stories. Anyone can attempt to perform a ritual. Each ritual requires a skill check to determine success. A powerful ritual can describe what happens when the check is a critical failure, then the spell goes awry and something bad happens. A ritual can be dangerous magic. Depending on the specific ritual, it might do anything. Any effect. It can have any kind of requirements to perform the ritual, including a level requirement, or special ingredient, specific astronomical event, whatever. It depends on the ritual. Some rituals are Common for magitech industrial purposes and some are rarer for more specialized purposes. Rituals are a kind of magic item. Like other magic items, some rituals are more useful than others. A ritual can be highly specific or obscure.

"Egg Sculpting" to produce a Dragonborn would be a perfect example of a ritual. Warforged construction would be a ritual too.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I would like to see the "ritual" design space split away from the "spell" design space.

The ritual is more like "magical rituals" of folklore and fantasy stories. Anyone can attempt to perform a ritual. Each ritual requires a skill check to determine success. A powerful ritual can describe what happens when the check is a critical failure, then the spell goes awry and something bad happens. A ritual can be dangerous magic. Depending on the specific ritual, it might do anything. Any effect. It can have any kind of requirements to perform the ritual, including a level requirement, or special ingredient, specific astronomical event, whatever. It depends on the ritual. Some rituals are Common for magitech industrial purposes and some are rarer for more specialized purposes. Rituals are a kind of magic item. Like other magic items, some rituals are more useful than others. A ritual can be highly specific or obscure.

"Egg Sculpting" to produce a Dragonborn would be a perfect example of a ritual. Warforged construction would be a ritual too.
There is a whole chapter on doing that in an older edition. Unfortunately it was designed for levels that caused it to have extremely limited use in play beyond possible communication

Kurotowa

Legend
If there are psionic subclasses, maybe we could see a psionic PC specie. Elans should be the best option, because they can use psionic power points even if they aren't psionic manifesters.
That just encourages psionics to be relegated to a specialized sub-set of the rules. If there's going to be psionics, make it psionics for everyone. Don't encourage the idea that only the specific psionic races deal in psionic classes.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads