• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) WotC Fireside Chat: Revised 2024 Player’s Handbook

Book is near-final and includes psionic subclasses, and illustrations of named spell creators.

IMG_3405.jpeg

In this video about the upcoming revised Player’s Handnook, WotC’s Jeremy Crawford and Chris Perkins reveal a few new tidbits.
  • The books are near final and almost ready to go to print
  • Psionic subclasses such as the Soulknife and Psi Warrior will appear in the core books
  • Named spells have art depicting their creators.
  • There are new species in the PHB.

Oofta

Legend
I feel like the argument in favor of racial ASI fails either way you cut it. If racial ASI are mechanically powerful features that help define the character, they're incredibly limiting to what classes a PC of a given race can effectively play and should be removed to give players more freedom. If racial ASI are minor traits that are drowned out by assigning/rolling your ability scores, then all they are is a nuisance for bookkeeping and it doesn't matter if they're removed because it's the other traits that are what matters.

Some people, like me, liked playing against type now and then. Dwarven wizard is obvious but I also had a half-orc monk, an Elven strength based paladin* and so on. Sometimes I played to the racial strengths, sometimes I didn't. Heck, I had a friend with a Dwarven sorcerer in 3.5 when they got a -2 penalty to charisma and no significant benefits. Because it can be fun to play the oddball.

The writing is on the wall for the generification of species, personally I think it's kind of too bad. But, the king is dead, long live the king and all that.

* they died quickly of course because all my Elven PCs die quickly.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It probably is, as we haven't had an instance where a PHB 2014 subclass has been replaced by one from Tasha's or Xanathar's. But if there was one that could be, then it might be the Assassin I guess.
If it's replacing one of the base PHB subclasses, I would guess Arcane Trickster. I doubt that they will take what is primarily a mundane class and give two out of three subclasses magic by removing Assassin.

Clint_L

Hero
Some people, like me, liked playing against type now and then. Dwarven wizard is obvious but I also had a half-orc monk, an Elven strength based paladin* and so on. Sometimes I played to the racial strengths, sometimes I didn't. Heck, I had a friend with a Dwarven sorcerer in 3.5 when they got a -2 penalty to charisma and no significant benefits. Because it can be fun to play the oddball.

The writing is on the wall for the generification of species, personally I think it's kind of too bad. But, the king is dead, long live the king and all that.

* they died quickly of course because all my Elven PCs die quickly.
I don’t understand the problem. You can still play a Dwarven sorcerer and give them suboptimal charisma if you want. You’re just not forced to. You have more options, not less.

Remove ads

Remove ads