• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worried about new minis?

Drkfathr1

First Post
Anyone else concerned about the new minis coming from WOTC later this year?

So far the promo pics look fairly good, but so do the promos for Heroclix and Mageknight, and those end up looking pretty crappy.

I'm also not real keen on "random" packing. How am I supposed to put together a game without knowing what kind of minis I'm going to end up with? (I know, buy regular minis from some other line, but that kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?)

I'd be alot more enthusiastic if they at least let you see what you were buying, or packed them in particular assortments. Low quality minis sure aren't going to do any better than Chainmail.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wouldn't go so far as to say I was "concerned" about them. I'll admit that I'm not terribly interested in them, but that's about as far as it goes.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
But we just have to have the minis or it won't be OFFICIAL!!! For crying out loud, what's wrong with you people? You do want to have the official ones don't you?

We've spent 20+ years using counters, dice, pocket change, and figs from other companies and how WRONG we've been.

And after years of playing M:tG, I've completely fallen in love with the idea of buying a package while having no idea what's inside. Heck, I've even taken all the labels off all my canned food. Could be green beans, could be chilli, could be cream of mushroom soup. OH THE EXCITEMENT! :D

Zephyrus

First Post
I'm interested in seeing them when they come out. Will I buy them. maybe but prolly not. just my perogative though not through any fault of them. Also consider this. Average miniture costs between $4-10 Each and many require some level of assembly and also requires painting which if your anything like me would turn out pretty crappy in the end anyways.

for $10, the 'booster' has 8 minitures prepainted (and while prolly not supermegaawsome! like some mini's i've seen painted <I know or knew of too many miniature painters and converters>) thats about on average $1.25 per mini and its already painted with some level of respectability that your not nessisarly going to cringe when you put it on the table.

the Randomness of the mini's is a popularity trend. have you noticed how popular wizkids mini lines are getting? their all over the place now. Mage Knight, HeroClix and MechWarrior Dark Age are a rage (I dont buy it but I cant afford to and its not a biggie for me but I traded a limited edition Mechwarrior mini I got free when I bought a Mechwarrior Mercenaries computer game and with it got Savage Species. I could have gotten as much as $45 out of the guy if I had asked for it.)

So am I concerned. No I think its a fairly good idea and think people will enjoy playing more with mini's their not ashamed to look at and can afford to get a large collection for not alot of money or labor.

Green Knight

First Post
Oooh! Halfling Paladin of Yondalla.

GAMA2003_WotC23.gif

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Greatwyrm said:
We've spent 20+ years using counters, dice, pocket change...

Loved the Kennedy Half-Giants...

These once was a time when Marilyn Monroe could reach in her change purse, pull out a fifty-cent piece and remark, "Yeah. I did him."

:p

Henry

Autoexreginated
Mark said:
There once was a time when Marilyn Monroe could reach in her change purse, pull out a fifty-cent piece and remark, "Yeah. I did him.":p

Now if there if there was ever a Jack Handey "Deep Thought"... :eek:

I'm as concerned [about the new miniatures] as I would be if WotC put out a new gaming supplement. I pick it up, I look it over, and if I don't like it I put it down and move on.

IMPORTANT POINT TO ALL:
-Reread Morrus' news article on the main page. The 40-65 mm is a typo. the base size is 28mm, and the largest figures will probably be 40mm.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads