• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Wizard: Divination vs Evocation

Ashrym has the right of it vis a vis Metamagic....it is something to consider! While the criteria in the thread is no multi-classing, a 3 level dip in Sorcerer is almost worth it for any primary caster.

tglassy has the right of it, you can balance for powerful equipment. The issue is the delta for expected results is going to be high. Run the same encounter described but against a Beholder in it’s well designed lair, and perhaps no happy ending.

As for having every spell, in prior editions practically this was impossible due to the sheer numbers of spells published. Speaking for myself I enjoyed clawing and struggling for every spell....it was a source of pride to have multiple spellbooks filled after years of playing.

Thing is, having every spell can give you option fatigue. Also I like ad hoc cooking with the ingredients at hand, even if the ingredients are not ideal, it is fun for me. Sorcerers are the ultimate ad hoc spell chefs.

Vitor Bastos

Explorer
You already have my opinion, but I'll add more based on some of the comments above. ;)

Spells known / prepped...

View attachment 116960

Warlock includes the arcanum at 11th level and excludes possible spells added via invocations. Wizards and tome pact warlocks also have access to rituals outside of spells known / prepped. I included other casters who were mentioned here and in other threads for comparison.

I am bringing this up because of the comment on sorcerer spells being restricted. This is true but does not prevent making use of good spells to match the style listed. For example...

While it's possible for evokers to make use of sculpt spells to work evocations around the party, careful spell lets sorcerers use any spell available that does not do damage on a save. Changing to hypnotic pattern (a very typical CC spell) and careful spell makes it party friendly, evokers do not have an options, diviners might use portent for one or two PC's, lore bards can preplan prep to give the PC's a bonus on the saves, and other spell casters do not have the party safe benefit. It's an example of why meta-magic can be awesome so sorcerers are definitely worth looking at.

Bards, clerics, and druids tend towards party support more than sorcerers, warlocks, and wizards but any of them have support options or offensive options. You do not need to limit your comparison. If the party friendly casting is important then sorcerers and evokers are your best options, however.
Good to see you here too Ashrym, and thanks a lot for the new info you provided! its helping me a lot! (y)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Considering a campaign from level 1 to 12. Only PHB allowed. No Multiclassing.
How would you rate these 2 Wizard Subclasses, in terms of:
  1. DPR
  2. CC
  3. Utility
  4. Social
  5. Exploration
  6. "Fun factor"
I feel like the difference is subtle enough as to be negligible on all counts. You get the same spell selection either way, so the only distinction is three features over those 12 levels. Evocation will get you a bit more damage on some spells and make your AoE spells less risky, while Divination gets you a couple re-rolls, let’s you cast Divination spells essentially by downgrading the spell slot instead of expending it, and some perception buffs. Neither is going to dramatically affect your performance; your spell choices are what will really make your character.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads