• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard Alternate Class Features

irdeggman

First Post
Falling Icicle said:
Scribe Scroll isn't useful?

I agree. It is IMO extremely underutilized. I have a player in my Age of Worms game who is using it extensively to good effect.

Scrolls are real cheap to make and real handy when you need the right spell (that you didn't memorize) - like say Knock.

But as was pointed out there are some variants in UA for this.

rgard

Adventurer
theredrobedwizard said:
Are there any ACFs that allow the swapping out of Scribe Scroll for something useful?

-TRRW

There are ACFs in Dragon Magazine as well. Most of these were variants to remove the familiar cf for something else.

Thanks,
Rich

Well, I do understand the utility of it, but as it stands we're going to have at most 8 hours of down time at a time for the next 5 levels or so. Lots of running running running. I already ditched my familiar for Sudden Shift (PHB2).

-TRRW

irdeggman

First Post
theredrobedwizard said:
Well, I do understand the utility of it, but as it stands we're going to have at most 8 hours of down time at a time for the next 5 levels or so. Lots of running running running. I already ditched my familiar for Sudden Shift (PHB2).

-TRRW

Any clerics or other divine casters?

They gain their spells by preparing at a certain time of the day - so 8 hours of down time at a time might not be real practical.

This also most likely means that you won't be able to "identify" magic items readily (since they take 10 minutes each and only 1 item per spell), so unless you "rest" and memorize identify repeatedly. . . .

You are also unlikely to be able to "get rid of" items acquired or "buy any replacement items".

In general this type of game philosophy is a bad idea. While it works during an adventure extending it for 5 levels or so is real bad IMO.

saucercrab

Explorer
theredrobedwizard said:
Are there any ACFs that allow the swapping out of Scribe Scroll for something useful?

-TRRW
A recent Dragon had one that allowed a wizard to scrap using a spellbook; you'd merely imprint the spells into your subconscious & memorize them from there. I think you had to dump your familiar as well for the ability. though.

saucercrab

Explorer
Olaf the Stout said:
Why are you only going to have 8 hours max of uninterrupted downtime for the next 5 levels?

Olaf the Stout
I figure he means the only downtime they'll have is at night when they rest. Nothing longer, not even a weekend.

Remove ads