• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wishing for racial abilities

Izod

First Post
Can you wish for racial abilities... such as wishing for the Tifeling ability to change self of a trolls regeneration?

Last edited:

trentonjoe

Explorer
YOu can wish for whatever you want!!!

I certainly would allow the change self once per day without busting the characters stones to bad.

THe troll regeneration I would allow but would make some serious side effects.
Maybe boils on the face and a -6 to CHR.
Inability to move within 10' feet of a fire.
A boost in size than causes a -4 dex for a limited amount of game time and then a reduction to -2.
A really overwhelming desire to live under bridges.
Lower their Chemistry grade by one full letter grade.
Something like that.

Just some opinions but EVERYONE plays wishes differently.

kreynolds

First Post
Well, I don't know if what I'm about to post will actually answer your question or not, but here goes.

A while back I sat down and figured up a new spell formula, similar to permanency, but one that would grant the spell as a supernatural ability or an extraordinary ability. The cost and difficult of the formula was astounding, but it seems to work really well.

In the case of a troll's regeneration, the formula works amazingly well. All I need to do is figure out roughly what level spell would grant full regeneration abilities, the spell's parameters, and the formula would tell me how much the spell would cost to research, how much XP the caster would need to spend to apply the spell to the recipient, and how much total cash the recipient would be required to spend. The catch, and this ended up balancing it out really well, was that the ability purchased permanently counted against you in gold pieces, forever counting against your character wealth. This cost method balanced out the character just as easily and effectively as applying a new ECL. Of course, the character has the option of getting it removed as well.

This also opened up a whole new breed of magic items in my games. These new items can sort of considered to be cursed, as once they are put on, they instantly meld into the character, forever binding the magics to them and bestowing a power/powers as a supernatural ability or an extraordinary ability. The items revert to their natural form when the character is slain and they can also be removed. Removing them, however, is expensive and difficult.

So, for me, yes, it's easy to get a troll's regeneration, albeit very very costly. For you, who knows. :)

Last edited:

Arravis

First Post
Well...

Can you wish for a Drow's Spell Resistance? What would it take to have an SR of 11+ character level (which goes up as your character level changes)?

Last edited:

Epametheus

First Post
In theory, yes, you can, because Wish is cool like that.

The real question is, is it safe do so?

In which case, the answer is a very emphatic no.

Seriously, you could try it, but you'll be inviting your DM to awaken the inherent DM instinct of screwing over PCs who have the gall to cast Wish. Don't be surprised if you come out of casting a Wish for trollish regen as an actual troll, complete with troll ALI and personality... You'd be the mightiest troll wizard in the land, but you'd still be a freaking troll.

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Well...

Arravis said:
Can you wish for a Drow's Spell Resistance? What would it take to have an SR of 11+ character level (which goes up as your character level changes)?

This is where my formula breaks down. Although, it wasn't meant to handle abilities like this, ones that increase as you level. It was just a massive improvement over Permanency.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I'd use the reincaranate spell as a guidleine for what racial abilities you should be able to gain. If you can come back as a pixie, basically free of charge except that one level loss associated with almost all back from the dead things letting a wish a 9th level spell costing 5,000xp give you that power without the random roll seems fair to me.

Victim

First Post
Spell Resistance is a 5th level cleric spell that lasts one minute per level and gives 12+level SR. I suppose that Wish could give something like this all the time (probably need to do a double wish though), but something might have to be done to update the effect when you level. Casting limited wish might work.

Gaiden

Explorer
Teifling ability to change self once per day - fine. Basically what you have done is grant them the feat - extra spell, which is a fixed spell: less powerful than the actual feat. Now the ability to change self at will, that's another story. I think that because I would rule that change self could be made permanent with change self and permanency, I would a permanent change self spell. However, I would make them use change self and permanency rather than wish (meaning they would have to research). If they wanted to still use wish I would allow them to do it but with the cumultive penalities of permancy and wish.

Spell resistance X+1/CL - fine so long X is approximately 10. There are multiple class abilities that grant permanent spell resistance of equivalent power that don't require the loss of experience and don't require you to be a minimum of 17th level to get it.

Trollish regeneration - trollish regeneration is actually a bunch of abilities packed together. First, it turns all damage into subdual damage except from certain attack types - usually 2. Second it allows the regrowth of lost limbs including head - this includes the ability to reattach such body parts instantly as well as immunity to vorpal weapons. Finally trollish regeneration includes fast healing 5. As one has to wish separately for each ability point gained, I would rule that it is necessary to wish separately for each ability.

I am not an a$$hole DM who likes to screw over my players. It's totally lame to turn them into a troll such that they can get the regeneration. On the other hand if the players are idiots and just wish for the ability without researching what might happen - they have soed their own fate. But if one of my PCs comes to me and asks about getting such an ability I would first explain that researching would be a good idea. And after he did research I would explain that the wish must be limited to one ability. So he could do three wishes and ultimately get the regeneration - but not with one wish.

Also, for the "all damage = subdual damage" I would either let the player decide or randomly choose two attack types that still did regular damage to the player. If the player has in mind some creature that he is trying to mimic for the subdual damage ability I would have the two attack types that affect that creature be the two attack types (or three depending on the creature). Further I would have the character gain some features of that creature. Lastly I might consider a damage cap per round for the subdual ability.

For the reattachment ability, I would leave as is.

For the fast healing ability, I would leave as is.

kreynolds

First Post
Victim said:
Spell Resistance is a 5th level cleric spell that lasts one minute per level and gives 12+level SR. I suppose that Wish could give something like this all the time (probably need to do a double wish though), but something might have to be done to update the effect when you level. Casting limited wish might work.

I just applied my formula to that, and damn...it works really well! Cool. :cool:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads