• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will Iconic Monsters be re-buffed for levels 15-30?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Talk about going retro...

All this talk of monster levels has my brain thinking back to the Dungeon! board game and its monster levels.

So...can we expect the blue dragon and lich to only show up in blue rooms? :p

Shade said:
Talk about going retro...

All this talk of monster levels has my brain thinking back to the Dungeon! board game and its monster levels.

So...can we expect the blue dragon and lich to only show up in blue rooms? :p

Dude... I still have both versions sitting on my shelf.

Also, I can't be the only person to ever have considered using the Dungeon board as a map in a D&D game, can I? ;)

Aloïsius

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Well, some of them. That was, IIRC, an ancient red dragon, after all.

I wonder what will the great wyrm be... Unless they have changed the age category, of course.
I think I don't like the idea of monsters having thousands of hit point. More streamlined, heh ?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Mouseferatu said:

Also, I can't be the only person to ever have considered using the Dungeon board as a map in a D&D game, can I? ;)

No, you can't. In fact, I tried it once back in 1e. :)

Eagle Prince

First Post
Look how different the dragon is. I think the iconics will get seriously retooled. Hopefully I wont end up mistaking a beholder as a medusa head that somehow escape my Castlevania game.

If 21-30 is supposed to be epic, I'd hope that a balor is still at lvl 20 and not just buffed up to lvl 30.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:

:lol: I actually used that for a dungeon a long time ago...

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Upper_Krust said:
Doesn't re-buffing weaker monsters to be more powerful simply make the addition of ten levels to the core game meaningless? Or even worse, self-defeating (I now need 30 levels to do 20 levels worth of 'stuff').
That sums up my answer nicely.

Why can't the Balors & Pit Fiends be the most powerful of the 'stock' demonic/diabolic races and then after that you have unique types like Orcus, Demogorgon and so forth?
This deserves more attention. I think Epic essentially means Unique. What is a 25th level minion? How exactly are there dozens of these? Maybe a dozen in the known world. A very keen sense of scale will be needed.

I thought Demon Type I-VI were named unique as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads