• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wild shape annd Crafting

Madacoda

First Post
A few months ago I started playing D&D with a group of friends who were all new to 3.5E. Be it because they never played or just played and older version. I started out with a Human Ranger in learning the basics. Now I am switching to a Half-Elf druid and I want to do some more advanced stuff. When reading trough the rules 2 questions arose.

The first is about wild shape. Some things are not entirelly clear to me. I understand that at my current 5th lvl I can wild shape into a small or medium animal. I take the con, str and dex attributes from the animal I shift into. What will my hp be, mine or that of the animal (which will be lower)?? If I, for example, cast barkskin before wildshaping will I still have the +2 AC in animal form? Any other special things I should know about wild shaping?

The second question is about crafting. I noticed there are both feats and skills for crafting. What do I need? Say I want to craft a +1 scimitar, what are the costs? And for a +1 flaming scimitar? The whole crafting thing is a bit unclear to me.

Thanks a lot to anyone willing to spend time on answering these noob questions!

Last edited:

Geoff Watson

First Post
Madacoda said:
A few months ago I started playing D&D with a group of friends who were all new to 3.5E. Be it because they never played or just played and older version. I started out with a Human Ranger in learning the basics. Now I am switching to a Half-Elf druid and I want to do some more advanced stuff. When reading trough the rules 2 questions arose.

The first is about wild shape. Some things are not entirelly clear to me. I understand that at my current 5th lvl I can wild shape into a small or medium animal. I take the con, str and dex attributes from the animal I shift into. What will my hp be, mine or that of the animal (which will be lower)?? If I, for example, cast barkskin before wildshaping will I still have the +2 AC in animal form? Any other special things I should know about wild shaping?

Your hit points stay the same.
Spells (like the barkskin example) still function in animal form. Magic items don't; wilding clasp (an item from various sources that allows an attached item to still work in wild shape) is recommended.

The second question is about crafting. I noticed there are both feats and skills for crafting. What do I need? Say I want to craft a +1 scimitar, what are the costs? And for a +1 flaming scimitar? The whole crafting thing is a bit unclear to me.

Thanks a lot to anyone willing to spend time on answering these noob questions!

To craft a non-magical scimitar you need the Craft skill.

To enchant a scimitar to be magical you need the Craft Arms and Armour feat. For a flaming scimitar you also need access to fireball or flamestrike. The cost to enchant a +1 scimitar is 1000gp and 80 XP; for a +1 flaming scimitar it's 4000gp and 320XP.

Geoff.

Madacoda

First Post
Thanks a lot for the answer Geoff! Could you elaborate on this Wilding clasp item? In which book can I find the description?

And one more question about the AC in wild shape. Do I take my own AC or do I use the one from my animal form. My own educated guess would be the latter.

CsonTep

First Post
AC in wild shape is figured just like normal. 10 + animal's Dex modifier + animal's Natural Armor bonus + animal's size bonus + any Armor and Shield and Deflection ETC bonuses you have from feats, equipment, spells, ETC. Wild or Beastskin armor and animated shields are helpful.

KDM27

glass

(he, him)
Geoff Watson said:
To craft a non-magical scimitar you need the Craft skill.

To enchant a scimitar to be magical you need the Craft Arms and Armour feat. For a flaming scimitar you also need access to fireball or flamestrike. The cost to enchant a +1 scimitar is 1000gp and 80 XP; for a +1 flaming scimitar it's 4000gp and 320XP.
Just to note: The Craft Arms & Armour feat allows you to make a magical scimitar from a non-magical (masterwork) one. In a sense, it is slightly misnamed because you don't actually craft anything with it; the actual physical scimitar is made with the craft skill. The feat just allows you to make it magical (or more magical).

glass.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads