• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Why Spelljammer?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Starfinder's success speaks to the demand for "fantasy sci-fi".
If WotC published 5e SJ with their current crew of designers, I'd buy.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
One thing I have noticed with new players in 5E.

For whatever reason they know about Spelljammer.

In 3 new groups I have played with they are aware of it with players not born when Spelljammer went out of print.
I mean Spelljammer is the only official D&D setting that did something unique. all the other settings feel samey in some kind of way. like what's the real difference between Grayhawk and Forgotten Realms? "oh one's early rennaisance and the other is medieval" okay? or Dark Sun, that's basically earth 50 years from now. I know if you look into it you'll find a whole lot of differences between them, but for the most part everything is just some kinda fantasy setting. Spelljammer is the only one you can describe as "wizards in SPACE!"*

it also probably helps that the Astral Sea was a thing in 4e, and the Manual of the Planes reintroduced stuff like spelljammers and the gith, so you could have Spelljammer-esque adventures that way.

*you might need additional explanation after that about how it's not really like Star Wars, but you get the idea.
Starfinder's success speaks to the demand for "fantasy sci-fi".
If WotC published 5e SJ with their current crew of designers, I'd buy.
I used to be gung ho about Spelljammer when I first learned about it, but these days I kinda want something more like Star Wars, or even Starfinder. I'd probably still buy whatever setting book they release, though.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I'll add that Spelljammer really isn't that hard to convert... you can just use the ship rules from GoS. Pretending it's not the actual ocean and instead the "Phlogiston" should be fine to jump the remaining gap.

Larnievc

Hero
One thing I have noticed with new players in 5E.

For whatever reason they know about Spelljammer.

In 3 new groups I have played with they are aware of it with players not born when Spelljammer went out of print.

Greyhawk is another one usually along the line if "it's the 1st one right".

Planescape might be another.

Any other setting might require explaination.

Anyway one of my new players mentioned it last night wants to play it but doesn't know how to convert it.

I do but it's to much work it's easier to use 2E rules or hack in 5E parts to 2E than update the setting.

May have mentioned I have a near mint version of Spelljammer the plastic sprue ship based are still mint. Wife said you have everything which isn't that true as I'm missing a lot if setting it only have the main set.

Does Spelljammer have a Reddit ot Twitter reputation I'm not aware of?
When I do Spelljammer I don’t bother with all the intricate rules of ship design or any of the esoterica.

I just put my pcs on a flying ship and let the locations and monsters make the setting. And I sci if it up a bit to make the flow hyperspace and do away with Crystal Spheres.

Once they get to the Rock of Bral they know they’re not in Bergost, anymore.

Because it is the easiest way to create a mash-up mixing medieval fantasy and your favorite sci-fi franchises.

If Spelljammer is published, and I would bet it will be, you will guess lots of fans will create their own adaptation of Star Wars, Star Trek, Starcraft, Warhammer 40.000, Mass Efect, Doom...

Isn't it fun? The giant hamster has become a true icon of the setting. Do you thing we will see it as monster ally or mount?

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
If Spelljammer is published, and I would bet it will be, you will guess lots of fans will create their own adaptation of Star Wars, Star Trek, Starcraft, Warhammer 40.000, Mass Efect, Doom...

So, I want to run DOOM in Barbarians of Lemuria... but man, Doomguy as a Barbarian|Gunslinger on a planet swarming with demons? Sign me up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads