• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why Changes were made in 4e

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
This is a fork of a side conversation from the Marketing of 4e thread. I felt it was interesting enough to start its own thread.

[/QUOTE]
Even if I agreed that this was a problem, which I would not, it does not explain the need to get rid of the nine alignments, vancian casting, and rewrite the entire demon/devil cosmology.[/QUOTE]

The problem he was replying to was the difference in numbers between the lowest possible character and the highest possible character in 3e.

I certainly think there were reasons to change these things. Of course, not everyone is going to agree with the reasons. 4e likely wasn't created to fix some of these smaller issues. I think the issue I mentioned was the main reason to create the edition in the first place.

Still, I think that WOTC went into 4e thinking that if they were going to fix the major problem with the underlying math, they might as well fix every other little issue that they had with the game and that people complained about over the past couple of years.

Off the top of my head, I'd say the reasons for the above changes were:

Getting Rid of the Nine Alignments
Constant questions and threads about "How to play your alignment properly", "What would a Lawful Good person due in this situation", "What alignment is Pop Culture Character", "Can Evil characters be in groups with Good characters", "What should Good characters do when they use Detect Evil on someone and they detect it?", "Would a Good church allow Evil worshipers", "How would and Evil character infiltrate a Good church without being detected", "Would a Chaotic Good character turn a prisoner over to the law", and so on.

The 4e version of alignment pretty much says: Most people are Unaligned. You can be good and still have your alignment as Unaligned. You can be evil and have your alignment as Unaligned. If you are particularly evil or good, you might choose an alignment other than Unaligned. Either way, it doesn't matter what your alignment is, since no one can detect it or affect it in any way. Thus, effectively removing the alignment system other than a vague role playing tool to help you figure out how to play your character.

Vancian Casting
One problem with Vancian Casting as it was used in 1e-3e is that is presupposed a certain number of encounters per day. If someone has the ability to cast 3 spells a day, they are unlikely to be able to survive even two battles in a day. Or at least do anything even remotely caster-like in the second one. If someone has 65 spells a day, 15 of which pretty much allow them to kill or negate an enemy outright, 1 battle a day is almost never going to challenge him. If the Cleric has the ability to heal 500 points of damage a day with his combined spells, any battle that does only 50 damage to the party isn't going to register on their radar. If he can only heal 10 points of damage, any battle that deals 50 damage is going to be the only battle they fight that day.

This is pretty much the problem with any "daily" resource. Once it's used up, people will want to get it back. Until it's used up, it feels infinite.

The second problem was one of balance a daily resource with an unlimited one. When you have an unlimited resource(say, the ability to attack with a sword) you can't make it too powerful because you don't want someone to use a powerful ability every round. So, you have to limit its effectiveness. The reverse is true about limited resources. The more limited they are, the more powerful they should be. Otherwise, why bother waiting for them to come back or even using them? If you can attack for 1d6+5 damage every round and you can attack for 1d6+4 damage once a day...well, you'll just forget you have that ability and never use it. Also, if you give one class the ability to do 1d6+5 points of damage 5 times per day and another class the ability to do 1d6+5 points of damage at will, everyone will choose the later class every time.

So, you have a bunch of spells that are limited in the number of times per day they can be used. They NEED to be more powerful than abilities that can be used at will. So, you are creating an imbalance on purpose. Now, people will say "But after those limited resources run out, now that character is LESS powerful than the class with unlimited resources". That's true. But now you are just creating another artificial limit on the number of battles you can use in one day. Use more battles than the caster has spells for and you risk a player getting really bored and annoyed that they have nothing to do during the combat. You also risk the party turning away from adventures in order to recover spells in the middle of a storyline because they are afraid of continuing without their spells. Use less battles than the casters have spells for and you are removing all the advantages of the classes with unlimited resources. Why play a Fighter who can attack unlimited times for 2d6+10 damage when you can play a Wizard who can cast a 10d6 AoE spell every round of every combat?

Sure, some people will play the "bad" classes purely due to theme or role playing reasons. But the majority won't. I realized this when the number of non-casting classes played in my 3.5e games slowly went down to 0 as more and more people figured out these facts.

Rewriting the entire demon/devil cosmology
This one appears to be somewhat a side effect. When WOTC sat down to create the new edition, they decided to question everything in the game to figure out HOW it fit in the game.

They appointed a story team whose entire purpose it was to figure out HOW things get used. They were supposed to examine things like Devils and Demons and say "When a DM wants to use one of these in a game, how do they get used? What reason is there for the PCs to fight these? What kind of stories are they involved in?" And they were specifically told to question everything, no matter how taken for granted they were.

One of the first things they tackled was the planes and their usability in game. What use was snowbank number 1,634,234,123 in the 243th layer of the Abyss in the game? What reason did it have to exist in a game about killing things and taking their stuff, while saving the world from evil? What made it different from snowbank number 2 in terms of how it was used in the game? What made it different from snowbank number 2 in the 1st layer of the Abyss? What made it different from snowbank number 2 in Cormyr?

Those questions led to the changes in the planes we see today. And, once those changes had been made, you need to make sure everything else makes sense. Demons come from the Abyss. Why is there an Abyss? Where is it located? Why do all Demons come from the Abyss? What makes a Demon a Demon? And the worst answer of all when answering these questions is "because it's always been that way". Especially when you can find a better answer.

So, in this case, they said "The Abyss is a dark, evil hole in the Elemental Chaos. The creatures that come from there are Demons...evil, corrupted elementals who want to destroy all of reality and rip it apart. They particularly hate the mortal world. They hate it because they are the foul spawn of the primordials. That gives them a reason to be conflicting with the players. They come to the mortal world to destroy it and the PCs have to stop them."

Dice4Hire

First Post
To me, 4E is a DnD fantasy game, that has a lot of connections to its predecessors, but is mostly a new game. And that is not a bad thing at all. I hope 5E is also a new game. But all new editions should still pay homage to DnD's past. I would not like to see a game that was totally different called DnD.

Freakohollik

First Post
On alignment, I think they wanted to simplify it since a lot of people didn't really get it. But they also wanted to satisfy people who like alignment (people like me). They tried to play it somewhere in the middle. I don't like what they did with it and think they would have been wiser to ditch it entirely and use something like the d20 modern allegiance system. Even in that system you can be dedicated to abstract concepts like law, chaos, good, evil, neutrality.

The closest thing on the top of my head that was change for the sake of change in 4e was renaming martial weapons "military weapons".

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Off the top of my head, I'd say the reasons for the above changes were:

Getting Rid of the Nine Alignments

The 4e version of alignment pretty much says: Most people are Unaligned. You can be good and still have your alignment as Unaligned. You can be evil and have your alignment as Unaligned. If you are particularly evil or good, you might choose an alignment other than Unaligned. Either way, it doesn't matter what your alignment is, since no one can detect it or affect it in any way. Thus, effectively removing the alignment system other than a vague role playing tool to help you figure out how to play your character.

I think that the 4Ed "solution" was rather poor. Either reducing it to G-U-E or outright removal would have been superior to 4Ed's 5 alignment system- either would have been more intuitive.

And I say that as one who greatly enjoys the 9 alignments and see them as a valuable tool. All of those "moral quandry" threads to me indicate an interest in role-playing your PC at a deep level.

Vancian Casting
One problem with Vancian Casting as it was used in 1e-3e is that is presupposed a certain number of encounters per day. If someone has the ability to cast 3 spells a day, they are unlikely to be able to survive even two battles in a day. Or at least do anything even remotely caster-like in the second one.<snip>

The second problem was one of balance a daily resource with an unlimited one. <snip>

You also risk the party turning away from adventures in order to recover spells in the middle of a storyline because they are afraid of continuing without their spells. Use less battles than the casters have spells for and you are removing all the advantages of the classes with unlimited resources. Why play a Fighter who can attack unlimited times for 2d6+10 damage when you can play a Wizard who can cast a 10d6 AoE spell every round of every combat?

Sure, some people will play the "bad" classes purely due to theme or role playing reasons. But the majority won't. I realized this when the number of non-casting classes played in my 3.5e games slowly went down to 0 as more and more people figured out these facts.

Your experience and mine clearly differ greatly. Vancian casting- for me- was part of what gave D&D its unique charm. It helped set D&D apart from all of the other FRPGs I played, NONE of which had anything like it.

And in 30+ years of play, I haven't seen the 15 minute day from either side of the screen. IME, casters who splurge with their spells will soon find themselves throwing daggers and shooting bolts- the party has places to be and foes to kill. And stopping here because you're out of spells is probably not an option.

Nor have I seen a mass gravitation towards spellcasting classes, though I have seen an increase in people multiclassing their PCs into spellcasting classes post-3Ed's release. That, however, just reflects the freedom of the 3.X rules...and its arguably worse from a powergaming standpoint the way I usually see it done.

Because its not all about powergaming, I'd have to say that this is a playstyle thing.

I also dislike the way in which 4Ed handled both balancing things out between the classes- the sameness is numbing to me- and the resource management that used to solely be a concern for casters.

IMHO, it was nice to have classes that had almost no resource management (like the Fighter), and I think the Reserve feats were an elegant solution that I'd like to have seen more fully developed.

Rewriting the entire demon/devil cosmology
This one appears to be somewhat a side effect. When WOTC sat down to create the new edition, they decided to question everything in the game to figure out HOW it fit in the game.

This didn't bother me too much. As long as there are supernatural baddies for me and my buddies to smack around, I'm OK with that.

Last edited:

FireLance

Legend
The closest thing on the top of my head that was change for the sake of change in 4e was renaming martial weapons "military weapons".
WotC probably just wanted to avoid confusion. Otherwise, someone somewhere is going to ask something along the lines of, "Can an arcane or divine character use a martial weapon?" :p

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Alignment
The change in the number of alignments isn't the big thing about alignment in 4E.

How almost no effect keys off alignment is.

Getting rid of things like "Detect Evil" (along with level 1 Charm Person spells) is probably one of the most underestimated improvements of 4E! :)

Vancian spell slots
I think 4E is very successful in how it has balanced "dailies". If the spell slot mechanism had to go, so be it.

Now if only 4E didn't introduce healing surges, and how they bring back the three-encounter adventuring day... :(

Demons/Devils
I must say I don't care much. This doesn't seem to be a change central to the new edition. Mainly: set your Abyss wherever you like it.

avin

First Post
The new alignment system didn't pleased me. They should have kept the originals or should get rid of all of them.

Never liked Vancian, Mana/Fatigue systems works better for me.

Removing of Yugoloths is $%@¨$&¨#$%##$%!

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Personally I am glad they got rid of Vancian style magic. It never really felt like magic to me and promoted the wizard as light artillery feel.
Now I enjoyed playing sorcerers but they never felt magical in the way characters in fantasy novels did.
So I like what they have done in 4e and in particular rituals. Rituals now have a natural place in the game. It needs a bit of tweaking perhaps but it is there and now works.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads