• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who's Ashardalon?

NiTessine

Explorer
Ashardalon is a legendary great red wyrm that made his first appearance in the backstory to WotC's first 3E adventure module, The Sunless Citadel. He then popped up here and there during the adventure path until coming to face the party himself in Bastion of Broken Souls, where he was attempting to ascend to godhood.

There's also a disciple of Ashardalon prestige class in Draconomicon, and I think he's made appearances in other products as well.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Ah, thanks. Considering I've never played through those adventures, it would explain why I hadn't heard of that Dragon. :)

The_Fan

First Post
Some of his backstory is featured in the article. It's also worth mentioning that he survived by replacing his heart with a balor, and then by taking over the Bastion of Unborn Souls where he could feed directly from the font of all life.

Yeah, he was a badass.

Even death did not destroy him completely. His legacy lived on through the Disciple of Ashardalon PrC in the Draconomicon. Further, it was revealed in Dragon Magic that his spirit had survived to become a Vestige, granting power to some Binders.

Remathilis

Legend
He also has a planar touchstone in the Planar Handbook. The legacy of Dydd is in the Adventure Standing Stone. His cult was the focus of Heart of the Nightfang Spire as well.

Oh, and he was a very difficult fight.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads