• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Who plans to publish 4e stuff? I do!

What are your 4e writing / publishing plans?

• Publish in hardcover

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Publish in softcover

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Publish in PDF only

Votes: 35 47.3%
  • Publish free on the web only

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • Write a 4e setting

Votes: 35 47.3%
  • Write a monster book

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Write a magic item book

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Write an adventure module

Votes: 40 54.1%
  • Write a new races / classes book

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Write a new powers / spells book

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Write a 4e non-fantasy RPG

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • Revamp previously published 3e stuff to 4e

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • Publish it myself

Votes: 32 43.2%
  • Sell it to a publishing company

Votes: 21 28.4%

mrrodgers

First Post
I'll be working on supplements for the core classes and probably some of my own classes as well.

I'm working on Elemental warlocks at the moment. (not demons, but normal elementals.)

Spinachcat

First Post
If you sell 100 PDFs of anything, you are doing good.

Based on the numbers I have seen, the average PDF sells 50 copies.

My project is not a global setting like Planescape / Dark Sun, but a set of locations with some interconnection that the GM can easily incorporate into his own game world OR could use as the entire campaign setting. My thought is to sell it piecemeal as cheap individual PDFs and as a compiled print book.

Of course, that's after I finish publishing my current RPG...

Last edited:

Flynn

First Post
Of the three PDFs I've written and sold over the last few years, the two smaller ones have sold less than 25 copies each, and Fantasy Concepts just hit the 50 copy mark this month, about five months after release. It's really hit or miss with PDFs and the like.

Good Luck, Everyone,
Flynn

Scalding

First Post
I'm planning on writing up the module I ran for a bunch of friends last weekend. I figure I'll make it into a PDF and make it available for download to anyone who's interested, just like others have done with Oakhurst and Second Son.

Does this count as publishing? If so, I'm in!

vagabundo

Adventurer
Khuxan said:
I think you're onto something here - short pdfs detailing a single point of light (plus a couple of monsters, NPCs, adventure ideas) will, I suspect, sell much better than a single 200-page campaign setting.

Just speaking as a consumer here.

m25 said:
I'll second this. It should be much easier to buy into a small self-contained location (with some sort of hook or twist) than an entire world.

Thanks for the feedback. Encouraging. As soon as it hits on June I'll be looking at it. I'm think as a DM myself, what I would like and use. :D

tensen

First Post
Spinachcat said:
If you sell 100 PDFs of anything, you are doing good.

Based on the numbers I have seen, the average PDF sells 50 copies.

Dang, you realize if the average is 50 copies then for every one of the products in at least the top 100 there are 15-20 items that make no sales. Or an estimated 2000 products of deadweight. Thats just a plain shame.

Lets hope the beginning products in 4th edition bring us back to the sales figures of those good old days when there were less products on the field splitting the money.

Pinotage

Explorer
tensen said:
Dang, you realize if the average is 50 copies then for every one of the products in at least the top 100 there are 15-20 items that make no sales. Or an estimated 2000 products of deadweight. Thats just a plain shame.

Lets hope the beginning products in 4th edition bring us back to the sales figures of those good old days when there were less products on the field splitting the money.

Last time I attempted to track a product that I had a hand in on the 100 Best Sellers list at RPGNow after release, I think it made it into the top 5, having sold something like 30 copies. This was about 1.5 years ago.

I think Dark Quest Games and EN Publishing did fantastically well in the early 3e days. Some products there sold 1000+ copies. Unfortunately it's not longer the case, except for certain products (like Monte's products, for example, and a few others). Most products just don't sell that many copies anymore.

Pinotage

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
I like making monsters, and I'm not bad at it.

I doubt I'll publish anything in a book, but I'll at least have a decent webspace for my material. I've found that I enjoy my hobby less when it becomes work, so I'll do things on my own timetable. Maybe I'll look into Lulu or something, but not likely.

The Little Raven

First Post
GoodKingJayIII said:
I doubt I'll publish anything in a book, but I'll at least have a decent webspace for my material. I've found that I enjoy my hobby less when it becomes work, so I'll do things on my own timetable. Maybe I'll look into Lulu or something, but not likely.

This is similar to what my team and I are planning. We intend to put up a website that will give away the material for free, offer PDF downloads of compiled sections, and Lulu POD copies as things progress. It all hinges on what the GSL lets us do.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads