• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whisper Gnome Rogue

The Souljourner

First Post
So, a friend's starting a new campaign, and I decided that as what will probably be my last 3.5 character, I should play the one class I've never played in 3.x - a rogue.

I'm making up a Whisper Gnome (yes the race is really good... let's not debate that now... it's stay as it is in the book).

My stats are
Str 13
Dex 18
Con 16
Int 14
Wis 13
Cha 11

Stats could be moved around a little... these are post racial mods, so original stats were 16 15 14 14 13 13 (yes, I rolled well... almost too well, really, but that's another story).

My character's going to be a classic thief type rogue. I'm hoping the spell-like abilities will be very handy with that.

Not sure what to take... weapon finesse seems like a no-brainer. Extra silence and silencing strike also seem pretty cool, though I don't know how useful it would actually be (especially since silencing strike gives a saving throw, which is charisma based). If the DM allows the Book of Nine Swords, taking a level of swordsage and that feat that gives you dex to damage would be pretty ridiculous.

Suggestions welcome.

-Nate

Legildur

First Post
If you are intent on a melee based rogue, then I'd recommend looking at the flanking-related feats in the PBH. But yeah, Weapon Finesse is a gimme.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
I would also consider taking the majority of your levels as swordsage for combat abilities, and jsut taking enough rogue levels to top-up the cross-class skills from swordsage.

Unless you really need the skill points, I have been getting away from going straight rogue as much as possible. And swordsage already has a lot of good rogue skills as class skills and lots of skill points. Could be an interesting build.

The Souljourner

First Post
Sounds like our DM isn't going to allow Bo9S, or if he is, only limited uses. Definitely not straight swordsage, though.

I love the flavor of shadow hand, but most of the rest of the disciplines really don't fit my character concept. What I'd really like to get is whatever that stance is that lets you flank from any angle, and the feat that gives you dex to damage while in a shadow hand stance, and take the rest of my levels as rogue, maybe taking the occasional martial study feat for cool maneuvers.

I've never been a rogue (other than 1 or 2 levels) so I wanted to play a character who was majorly rogue for a change. Also, I've never played a small race, so wanted to try that too, and of course whisper gnome is kickass (I'd take 30' movement and darkvision without all the rest in a heartbeat).

I guess I should ask my DM if I can take one level... I don't like losing a half a level of sneak attack, but flanking from any direction and dex to damage will more than make up for that.

-Nate

Kmart Kommando

First Post
use Kukri, Blood in the water, Telling Blow etc.. Fun With Sneak Attack!

Or, go for Spring Attack and get the Shadow Hand Stance that gives you a shadowy concealment when you move.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads