• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whirlwind and reach weapon

Saxit

First Post
How is this treated? If you have say, a glaive and whirlwindattack, do you attack all within 5' even though you normally can't attack them, or do you attack those at 10', or maybe you can't attack at all?
Please any official sources would help as well :) I can't find it in the FAQ though.
/Saxit

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Saxit said:
How is this treated? If you have say, a glaive and whirlwindattack, do you attack all within 5' even though you normally can't attack them, or do you attack those at 10', or maybe you can't attack at all?
Please any official sources would help as well :) I can't find it in the FAQ though.
/Saxit

By a strict reading of the feat, you hit everyone within 5' (and only those within 5'), even when using a reach weapon.

There hasn't been any additional clarification or errata from WOTC that I'm aware of.

dr_nukem

First Post
I'd vote to allow the attacker to attack every foe within his threat range.

Immagine a gargantuan creature with whirlwind attack...it'd lay WASTE to armies... bwah ha ha ha hah...

It would have to be a house rule, or a new feat (Greater Whirlwind)...

Magus_Jerel

First Post
This one went to the sage before:

His response was that you COULD attack - but out at the 10 ft "circle", as reach weapons do not threaten those at 5 ft when you are using a reach weapon. Trying to use the feat to compensate for this wasn't the intent.

The question was asked about spiked chain - as it threatened at both 5 and 10 feet. did you get both circles?

In this case - you got your attacks only on the "circle of foes" closest to you and not at 10 feet. The same was to apply to monsters with "natural reaches" that could get the feat.

Why this was - I don't know - just that it was.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads