• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E which campaign next?

Hey,

I've been asked by my old gaming group to run another campaign for them. Since I live in Los Angeles and they live in San Diego, I'll be driving down there and we'll be playing a marathon 12hr session once every 6 weeks or so.

I'll either be running 3.5 (their preference) or pathfinder (my preference). I'm trying to decide which of the following campaigns to run.

If you're familiar with most of these, do any in particular stand out? If I run Ptolus, I have the big vinyl city map, which would be a bonus.

1) Ptolus
2) Rise of the Runelords
3) curse of the crimson throne
4) legacy of fire
5) council of thieves
6) slavelords of cydonia *
7) castle whiterock

*If I ran slavelords of cydonia I'd use grim tales or d20 modern, not D&D or Pathfinder, obviously.

Thanks for your insight!

Ken

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
I picked up Castle Whiterock when Paizo had it at half price. It looks like it could be fun. I'd like to see what those that have played it think. I'd vote for that one just on that basis. Ptolus could be interesting. Do you plan to do the whole campaign in the city? I'm not sure I've seen anyone do that but I've wanted to.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Ptolus really shines when you use lots of people, groups, factions as well as the connections between them. The players will often be unsure on whom to ally with and whom to antagonise.

If you play marathon sessions every six weeks, this may become a problem. Don't expect your players to recall the possibly complicated situations their characters find themselves in.

On the other hand you can also run sort of dungeon themed game in Ptolus...

ptolus

I would definitely run Ptolus if it weren't for the once every six weeks thing. I've put the APs and Castle Whiterock into the mix because I think they might be easier for the schedule I'm stuck with.

So no one here has played the last 3 paizo adventure paths? Or Castle Whiterock?

Ken

Papa-DRB

First Post
1) Ptolus
2) Rise of the Runelords
3) curse of the crimson throne
4) legacy of fire
5) council of thieves
6) slavelords of cydonia *
7) castle whiterock

I am running Rise of the Runelords and Legacy of Fire, but I have all the above except Ptolus.

In order, my vote would be:
Legacy of Fire
Curse of the Crimson Throne
Rise of the RuneLords
Castle White Rock

I am not sure of Council Of Thieves, and I didn't like Slavelords

-- david
Papa.DRB

Remove ads