D&D (2024) Where are the real previews?

Meech17

Adventurer
From a marketing standpoint, putting something out in the channel to balance out things like the company president resigning would be good, even if it's something smaller like the non-backer previews Tales of the Valiant is doing.

"Here's a preview of the new version of Heroes' Feast. Here's what our 2024 halflings look like. Here's a new, more robust low level orc stat block. Here's an all-new magic item filling a low level common item gap in the DMG."

I am not holding my breath, though.
They mentioned during the PHB video that made the rounds this week that they'll be doing more and longer videos soon. So perhaps we'll see some stuff from that channel.

Dan Dillon

Explorer
Per the fireside chat they're in printout review stage now on the 2024 Player's Handbook. We're not getting actual previews until that phase is done and the book is out the door to be printed. Until the files are sent, changes might happen, and they don't like giving previews that they then have to "nevermind."

Just look at everyone confused about Necromancer wizards in the 24 PH or not.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
They mentioned during the PHB video that made the rounds this week that they'll be doing more and longer videos soon. So perhaps we'll see some stuff from that channel.
I know. I think that's probably the wrong strategy. The news/discourse cycle goes on without them and there's always going to be enough Hasbro shenanigans happening that there tends to be plenty of bad news that a more active marketing team would be working to negate with smaller, more frequent news dumps.

I suspect the WotC president resigning would have gotten a lot less attention if it happened simultaneously with "here's what halflings look like now," which doesn't require hours from the developers to shoot a video, then hours to edit into multiple videos and then days of management watching, wanting tweaks and signing off on.

This is a pretty inefficient system they've got going. I get that it's what they're used to doing, but they could/should also have some smaller stuff coming out more regularly that doesn't require so much work and so many sign-offs. Just release one small thing a week that is near-final. They could even have an announced schedule where it rotates between, say, a spell, a species, a monster, a magic item, a spell, a feat, etc., maybe even with a poll (with all of the options previously approved and vetted, so there's no downside between people voting to see "orc brute" over "urd" or whatever).

The big long previews also compete with news about books like Vecna or Infinite Staircase in the way that "here's a picture of a paladin from their spread in the 2024 PHB" would not.

From a marketing standpoint, putting something out in the channel to balance out things like the company president resigning would be good, even if it's something smaller like the non-backer previews Tales of the Valiant is doing.
Like all the Vecna adds that have been flooding my social media?
"here's what halflings look like now," which doesn't require hours from the developers to shoot a video
Ooh, yea. I can't imagine even little things like this not being picked up by the Click Baiters and otherwise WotC=Evil folks and using it to constantly fuel their diatribe.
Just release one small thing a week that is near-final.
I guess I'm so fed up with the constant stream of crap that I don't want these things. Just let's get reviews from the trusted sources who get early release copies and then give us access to the product when its ready. I don't see any benefits to "our" constant demand for attention and engagement.

Speaking of which, that's enough of my time wasted for now. Time to go do something constructive!

Remove ads