• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When you get a Twice-per-Encounter Power once per day...

Felix VonHauson

First Post
steppen said:
The EFFECT of the Healing Word/Inspiring Word powers don't say anything about being able to use them twice. They just say that someone can spend a healing surge and get some additional hit points back.

I still can't wrap my mind around it any other way. The Healing Word and Inspiring Word class features can be activated twice per encounter; however, the class-specific multiclass feats limit you to a single activation.

You know...This is annoying me. I looked at this problem a bunch on Friday...and looking at it again just now, I'm not seeing what I saw then. (I apologize, it does say that the power can be used twice in an encounter

So I made an error in my string of logic up above. The listed effect of the power is to allow the expenditure of a surge (I was remembering the effect as the 'twice per encounter...'). So I change my opinion based off of the same logic up above. Hopefully, the pages aren't re-written again by pixies in the next couple days back to what I remember it saying.

Zurai

First Post
melkoriii said:
MC feats are weak as it is.
You seem the be the only one that thinks so. Most people ask "why should I bother taking Skill Training when the Multiclass feats are dramatically better?"

Vaeron

Explorer
Felix VonHauson said:
4) The EFFECT of Healing/Inspiring Word is that, twice per encounter, you can use it to cause the target to spend a healing surge. It does not say that this second surge requires another use of Healing/Inspiring Word...otherwise the full EFFECT of the power would be gained, allowing for two more healing surge expenditures.

False. Each use of Healing Word is a seperate use of the power. It doesn't automatically go off again the next round. It has to be used again seperately. This is not an example of a multiclass character gaining the use of the encounter power as a daily. This is an example of the multiclass character getting to use the power ONCE. A cleric can use it twice, but those usages mechanically have nothing to do with one another. Each is a seperate use of the power. It flat out says a cleric can USE the power twice per encounter. And the multiclass write-up clearly says the multiclasser can USE the power once per day.

Jedi_Solo

First Post
Surgoshan said:
I don't see where the difficulty is. It doesn't say you gain the Inspiring Word power, it just says that once per day, you can use the Inspiring Word power.

I'm with this reading of it. You can do the trick once per day and that is it.

am181d

Adventurer
I didn't read the whole thread (sorry!), but some folks are misunderstanding the specific vs. general rule. The "special" disclaimer in the Holy Word power is ALSO a specific rule. So this is a case of specific vs. specific, and will remain murky until someone gets a ruling from WotC.

Otterscrubber

First Post
Has there been any official (or unofficial) word (no pun intended) on this? This has become an issue for me as I am thinking of taking a dip into cleric with this feat for my ranger and would like to know what the dealio :)

Particle_Man

Explorer
Otterscrubber said:
Has there been any official (or unofficial) word (no pun intended) on this? This has become an issue for me as I am thinking of taking a dip into cleric with this feat for my ranger and would like to know what the dealio :)

Well on the official unofficial FAQ thread it looks like CustServ is backing the "once per day only" crowd rather than the "twice per day in the same encounter" crowd.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads