• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the WORST Star Wars movie?

What's the WORST Star Wars movie? (vote for up to 3)

• Ep I: The Phantom Menace

Votes: 52 33.1%
  • Ep 2: Attack of the Clones

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • Ep 3: Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Ep 4: A New Hope

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ep 5: The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ep 6: Return of the Jedi

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Ep 7: The Force Awakens

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • Ep 8: The Last Jedi

Votes: 56 35.7%
  • Ep 9: The Rise of Skywalker

Votes: 95 60.5%
  • Rogue One

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Solo

Votes: 16 10.2%

Zardnaar

Legend
I mean, my experience is that only EU fans had specific "expectations" for Luke. And yeah they were set up from like 1991 onwards by the EU.

Also we got this weird retcon from a lot of people where they blamed Luke being a hermit living on an island on a nowhere planet and having done nothing for decades on TLJ, when in fact that was all established in TFA.

Luke was barely in TFA so tgey left the door open.

Main problem was they more ir less copied Yodas thing.

I suspect even casuals kindacexpected Han/Leia together and Luke reestablishing the Jedi.

Interesting to note I don't think any of the new Disney Canon has continued the story from RoS. Marvel comics did that back in early 80's by comparison.

GreyLord

Legend
An interesting thing to note for those who thought the Emperor thing came out of nowhere, or at least Rey's connection.

Her theme, starting with the first movie of the sequel trilogy (the Force Awakens), is the Emperor's theme with a different beat and instrument.

Just an interesting thing to note. One can hypothesize all day on WHY that is, but it IS there if you listen.

Zardnaar

Legend
An interesting thing to note for those who thought the Emperor thing came out of nowhere, or at least Rey's connection.

Her theme, starting with the first movie of the sequel trilogy (the Force Awakens), is the Emperor's theme with a different beat and instrument.

Just an interesting thing to note. One can hypothesize all day on WHY that is, but it IS there if you listen.

For ne Reys parentage didn't matter to much and cen being related to Palps by itselfvisntva terrible idea. Or related to no one.

But yeah the execution was off.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
The Lucas remakes of the original trilogy were the worst in my opinion. Terrible, pointless cash grabs that destroyed the franchise before the prequels were even made.
Can you make this clearer? I don't know of a remake of the original trilogy that happened before the prequels.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
<rant>

AOTC, which summarizes in one scene how formulaic and stupid Star Wars had become.

That scene is, of course, the diner scene. Know what other movie featured Star Wars mashed up with a 50's style diner in space? Spaceballs. Good job, Lucas! You cribbed from a movie that had made fun of your schtick more than a decade prior and that movie did a better job with the concept. I mean, the Spaceballs diner even had the Millenium Falcon parked out front!

In the words of John Hurt's cameo, "Oh no... not again!"

The movie was terrible. Utterly terrible.

My dishonorable mentions are Abrams' gruesome twosome. TFW for being a shameless ripoff - oh, I'm sorry JJ - an homage!. Sorry but it was an uninspired beat-for-beat copy.

And ROTS because it went out of its way to memory hole TLJ. TLJ, while deeply flawed, had some amazing moments. Who are Rey's parents? Nobody! Deal with it! The Jedi are deeply problematic. Uh yeah... they'd take children away from their families, sometimes against the parents' wishes, and then indoctrinate them with their own fundamentalist worldview which would emotionally castrate them.

ROTS does away with that, completely erases a character from TLJ (Justice For Rose!), and then unashamedly says "Eff it! We're bringing back Palps because JJ can't think of anything better." Yes, Johnson killed Snoke, who would have been a cool Big Bad. But Darth Maul would have been a cool Big Bad too and he didn't make it out of Episode 1.

TLJ wasn't great but at least Rian Johnson was trying to do something new with the moribund material.

If I had an also also, it would be Solo. First off, enough with the American Graffiti worship in Star Wars. It's why there was the AOTC diner scene and it's why the stupid dice exist. Ron Howard, like milk, was a bad choice. If you want to move Star Wars forward, referencing 50s car culture ain't the way to do it. Sorry that new guard directors aren't safe. Then again, Coppola, Spielberg, and Lucas weren't safe when they got their start back in the 70s.

Bottom line is that Star Wars, even before Disney, had become more machine than man. The truth, from my point of view, is that Star Wars is, ultimately, a mediocre at best franchise with some really great stuff in it.

</end rant>

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Kylid villain potential was ruined in TFA and more in last Jedi.

He was a Vader knock off newb in TFA that had temper tantrums and got mad
Did you skip the original trilogy? Darth Vader is a temperamental baby. But he can murder you with his mind, so everyone but Tarkin treats him like a sane person.
They nevervreallycestablushed that he was much of a bad ass.
He stopped rifle blasts with his brain.
And since TLJ started right after TFA there was no real time for him to develop as Snoke even referenced he needed more training.
I feel like Yoda said something like that to someone once upon a time ...
So they could commit to Kylo but it wouldn't be very effective.
Irrelevant. As we've seen in real life, even an incompetent but ruthless leader can be terrifying. Seeing a man-child space wizard in charge of the new Empire would have been a lot more interesting than what we got in RoS.
Even Maul and Dooku had better badass moments. Dook
u defeated Anakin and didn't get jobb
ed out to Yoda. Maul killed a Jedi Master. They had 3 options at that point.
This is not Mortal Kombat. Galactic rulership is not decided via duels.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads