• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Systems Have You Had Long Term Campaigns With?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I realize this community is probably D&D focused, but I'm curious what systems you've used for long term campaigns? Are there others you've bought and never played, though you may mine them for ideas? Is there something that I haven't given a fair shot that is your favorite system?
Off the top of my head...

I’ve been in long-term campigns with these systems:

Basic D&D
AD&D, a.k.a. 1Ed
2Ed
3Ed
3.5Ed
4Ed
Champions/HERO
HERO 4th
HERO 5th
Classic Traveller
RIFTS/Heroes Unlimited
GURPS 2Ed
Stormbringer
Paranoia

Games I own and haven’t used for a long term campaign or not at all are too many to name. But some highlights:

Space:1889
The Fantasy Trip
Deadlands
Deadlands D20
Prime Directive
Brave New World
Aberrant
Silver Age Sentinels
Savage Worlds
Torg
ACE
Werewolf
Vampire the Masquerade
Mage: the Awakening
Changeling
Mummy
Scion: Hero
Scion: God
Mutants & Masterminds 1 & 2
Midnight 2nd
True20
FantasyCraft
Spycraft
Arcana Unearthed/Arcana Evolved
Pathfinder
Earthdawn
Shadowrun
Alternity
Star Wars D20
D20 Modern
D20 Future
Numenara/Cypher System
Call of Cthulhu
Call of Cthulhu D20
Godlike
Spaceship Zero

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I've been in long term campaigns with:

D&D
* AD&D 2nd (10+ years same campaign)
* D&D 3.0/3.5 (10+ years of play across a campaign and it's sequel, plus other campaigns including coverting characters up from that AD&D campaign)
* D&D 5e (Several campaigns that end up being 4 years total, a few over 6 month each)

Hero System
* 2nd Ed to Big Blue Book to 5th to FRed (10+ years same campaign, with some breaks that aren't including in the total)

* 13th Age (4.5 year campaign)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I’ve been in long-term campigns with these systems:
Paranoia

How the heck do you do a long term Paranoia campaign? :p I've usually gone though more than half my closes by the end of a first adventure, if not the first session.

pogre

Legend
Most versions of D&D and WFRP several times. Ars Magica once for 10 months.

We've tried dozens of other systems with the intentions of running long term campaigns but just has not been sustainable.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
How the heck do you do a long term Paranoia campaign? :p I've usually gone though more than half my closes by the end of a first adventure, if not the first session.
Relatively speaking, of course.

The funny thing about it, it was one of the earliest groups I played in, and they didn’t quite get the game. The party was more like you’d find in a typical “teamwork über alles” D&D group- check everything, touch nothing unti you’re sure it’s safe, and approach every encounter with your lessons from Sun Tsu fully in mind. The GM had to WORK to inflict casualties!

sheadunne

Explorer
* D&D (Basic, 1e, 2e, 3.5e)
* Pathfinder
* Game of Thrones (d20)
* Call of Cthulhu
* Serenity
* Marvel Superheroes (TSR edition)
* Mechwarrior
* Vampire: The Masquerade

I might be missing a system in there from my 80s gaming days.

innerdude

Legend
Off the top of my head:

• Savage Worlds (we're now in our 3rd campaign that's lasted at least 15 months)
  • Pathfinder
  • Star Wars Saga Edition d20
  • D&D 3.5
  • GURPS (-ish, sort of kind of, the GM ran maybe 9 or 10 sessions before it fizzled)

Interestingly, for as long as I owned it, I never had a "long-term" campaign using BECMI. I probably had 9 or 10 different forays that lasted maybe 1-5 sessions, but nothing really long term.

Other stuff I've played, but only as one-offs / less than 5 sessions.

• Dungeon World
  • HeroQuest
  • Top Secret
  • D&D 4e

Aldarc

Legend
D&D (and Heartbreakers)
* D&D 3.X & 3.5
* True20
* Arcana Unearthed/Evolved
* Pathfinder 1e
* D&D 5e

So most of my longer-term campaigns happened under the auspices of the 3e d20 system. Though this is less about my preferences and more about time and the group.

Other Longer Campaigns
* Numenera
* Fate RPG

the Jester

Legend
I have run or played in long-term games using AD&D, 2e AD&D, 3e, 4e, 5e, Savage Worlds (Deadlands and Supers), Paranoia (like four or five sessions, which is really long for Paranoia games), Amber Diceless Roleplaying, Star Frontiers, Warhammer Fantasy 2e, Marvel Superheroes, Vampire, Mage... I can't think of any others off hand.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I'm going to treat "long term campaign" as a single campaign that spans at least a college term or season of weekly sessions since we used to organize and play lots of games within that context when we were younger - it's longer than just a few sessions and does represent a thorough playing of the game system.

AD&D 1e, 2e, hybrid 1e/2e and OA
D&D 3e
D&D 4e
D&D 5e
Pathfinder
Villains and Vigilantes
Champions
Mutants and Masterminds
Shadowrun
Paranoia
Call of Cthulhu
Warhammer Fantasy