• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What precentage to they make up of your Campaign?

What percentage do you modules

• Less then 10%

Votes: 46 38.7%
  • 10 to 20%

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • 20 to 30%

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • 30 to 40%

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • 40 to 50%

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • 50 to 60%

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • 60 to 70%

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • 70 to 80%

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • 80 to 90%

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • over 90%

Votes: 20 16.8%

Garmorn

Explorer
This is just to satisfy my curiosity.

What percentage (rounded to nearest 10%) do you modules? By use I mean run them with only moderate modifications (not county simple skin change to match a campaign).

I personally don't using any. I have tried 4 or 5 times but keep breaking out and not finishing them.

weem

First Post
I have actually never run a module, ever - in 21 years of gaming.

It's not something I am proud of, I might be a better DM if I had - I just like to do my own thing. I really should I know, I want to. There is a lot of good stuff I know I have missed, but modules (to me) are like railroading my DM creativity. I know I can adjust them as I see fit etc etc, but it's just easier for me to think of what I feel would naturally come next (in a campaign) and make it cool or fun. For one-offs I tend to think of a cool scene or situation and set it up from there - build up to that idea.

With that said, I own and have read many modules, and of course I get inspiration from them, but that's about it - even then I try to tweak any ideas I use.

So anyway, long story short, I voted "less than 10%".

Dice4Hire

First Post
I voted 30-40%. Some of my games are based around modules and some are not. Those that are not sometimes use pieces of modules and sometimes do not.

I am not anti-module, but most modules are not worth the effort it takes to convert them to my games.

Crothian

First Post
Lots,, but I relaly change them when needed. Running modules is an art and it took a good amount af time to perfect it for this DM.

Abraxas

Explorer
All the time, now. I am running one game and playing in 2 others so no longer have the time to do everything from scratch. Its saves time to find something that fits the campaign and re-skin as needed.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
I didn't run any module until 4e came out(playing since 2nd AD&D).

We found, however, that 4e was so much fun that we wanted to play more than 1/week. So, my roommates and I started running Scales of War as we decided premade modules would be easier to run so all 3 of us could play, with one person running/playing at the same time.

Neither of us who DM have slipped a module into our games, though our other DM did try to run Temple of Elemental Evil (3.0 version) back in the day. We wiped on the second fight (vs the dragon) twice and quit IIRC.

S'mon

Legend
In the 3.5 campaign I just finished, 20/21 sessions were playing published modules. The intro session was a 1-session adventure written by me.

The 4e campaign restarting in January is a 'super adventure', 1 big sandbox module - converted Vault of Larin Karr.

So I guess I'm well over 90%, at least in my recent campaigns. Back in the old days when I ran games daily, I only used modules occasionally, but now I rarely do anything else.

Garmorn

Explorer
While it is still to early to really have a good sample, there are three things that catch my eye.

1) Out of all of the votes there are none for the 80 to 90 range or the 20 to 30 range.

2) I did not think there would be so many above the 90 range votes.

3) The split seems to be roughly (constantly shifting) between 45 to 55% yes or no

Rechan

Adventurer
I have used only two modules before.

I intended to use more (I've built two campaigns around Chimes of Midnight), but both campaigns fell apart before I could get to the modules. Equally, I've wanted to use some, but just do not have the opportunity to do so, or the players did not seem interested (in the case of Curse of the Crimson Throne, two different groups voted it down twice). I do want to run King of the Trollhaunt, but doubt I'll ever get to run Paragon.

Often I will take a single piece of a module, tear it out, and use it. For instance, I can see myself using the Well of Demons from Thunderspire Labyrinth. There's a sequence in the second module for Second Darkness I'd like to steal
where the tower falls over and begins rolling down the side of a cliff

Last edited:

Holy Bovine

First Post
I know it is still early in the poll but the results currently a very striking. 39% so far have said 10% or less with the next largest group, 17% saying 90% or more. I wonder if this trend will hold?

Remove ads