• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What might the "increase in product" look like?

Mercurius

Legend
A riff off of this thread, but a different emphasis. Where the question there was what might be the next book, the question here is: If WotC is upping the publication output, what might the pattern be? What will be that extra book or product (or more) be?

(Feel free to respond however you want, but the point is not to quibble about the ideal number of books published, but to play with a hypothetical).

To recap, here is a chart of the publishing schedule for 5E, year by year, with book type color-coded (green = rules splat, blue = adventures, magenta = setting, grey = other/special):

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 5.21.13 PM.png

As you can see, there's some discernible patterns. After the first year in which the three core rulebooks and two parts of one adventure were published, plus the Starter Set, the schedule dropped to three a year from 2015-17, with two adventure books and one supplement. That increased in 2018 with a fourth book, a setting; 2019 added "special" product (Tyranny) plus three starter boxes. Furthermore, there's been at least one rules supplement each year (if we count Sword Coast, which I colored in pink because it is a hybrid of splat and setting), two adventure books in every year but 2020, unless we count Strahd Revamped and then there are two (or three in 2019), and at least one setting book from 2018 on.

It is hard to assess 2020 as the schedule may have been impacted by Covid, but even assuming if it wasn't altered it maintained the four book + special schedule of 2019. But of especial note is that two of the books were settings, with only one new adventure and one splat.

Now we do know that WotC is planning to increase the production output. "Increase" means more than the 4 + 1 special of 2019-2020 (we can say that what I called "non-essential" in 2019 doesn't count with the established main schedule). That likely means one of two things:

Option A: Four hardcovers + two or more special/non-essential products.
Option B: Five hardcovers + one or more special/non-essential products.

But let's say that, either way, we're looking at six major products, 4-5 of which will be hardcovers and 1 or more which will be something else.

So if the base 2019-20 publishing schedule is five of the following: 1-2 adventures, 1-2 settings, 1 supplement, 1 special/extra. An increase would imply a sixth product. What do you think that will be?

My guess is that they'll go with the following schedule going forward:
2 adventures (one compilation, one story arc)
2 settings (probably one classic, one new/Magic; or at least roughly two of each over a two year span)
1 supplement (monster, player's option, theme book)
1 special (box set, reprint, something new)

That would be the base, with some variation possible, year-to-year.

If this is the case, given that we've already got an adventure compilation and a classic setting book upcoming, that means we'd be seeing another setting book (another classic? Magic?), a story arc (FR? Dragonlance? Planes?), a supplement (Planes? Dragons/Fey?), and something else (Essentials 2?). In 2022, that "something else" could be a box set tied into the film.

Speculate away...

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I hope they hold off on player-facing rules splats for a bit. There’s a lot to love in Tasha’s but the Twilight and Peace clerics are ridiculous. I’d want them to put more time into playtesting subclasses going forward. Some classic settings don’t require specialty subclasses, they could focus more on those for the next year or two. I’d love a monster book.

Mercurius

Legend
I hope they hold off on player-facing rules splats for a bit. There’s a lot to love in Tasha’s but the Twilight and Peace clerics are ridiculous. I’d want them to put more time into playtesting subclasses going forward. Some classic settings don’t require specialty subclasses, they could focus more on those for the next year or two. I’d love a monster book.
I don't think they'll do another Xanathar/Tasha for awhile. As it was they were three years apart, so if they follow that pattern it might not be until 2023. Maybe finally psionics?

I think the next splats will be some kind of monster--possibly dragon-focused--book and a Manual of the Planes.

teitan

Legend
I don't think they'll do another Xanathar/Tasha for awhile. As it was they were three years apart, so if they follow that pattern it might not be until 2023. Maybe finally psionics?

I think the next splats will be some kind of monster--possibly dragon-focused--book and a Manual of the Planes.
But we got Psionics in Tasha's. It might not be satisfactory but it is very much partly a psionics rules supplement as well as a general supplement and reprint.

Mercurius

Legend
What about Explorers Guide to WIlemount and Acquisitions Incorporated?
What about them? Wildemount is mostly a setting book and AI a supplement, although somewhat unusual. Assuming you're responding to overgeeked's concern, I think they are talking about general players options that aren't tied to a setting or adventure. There's lots of that stuff sprinkled throughout, but Xanathar's and Tasha's are the only really dedicated books to players options.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I think six books is a pretty good estimate. WotC has staffed up, the better to manage products through the pipeline and work with freelancers, but they haven't doubled in size, as far as we can tell.

I think we're likely going to get a second full setting this year (maybe a MTG one to go with the TSR one), a big story arc (no way of guessing -- Rime surprised everyone I think, as did Candlekeep), a planar sourcebook/setting and, assuming the dragon and fey UAs aren't intended for a summertime setting book, a monster book that would feature both groups of critters (which will likely be confirmed if the next UA is another, different set of monster-themed stuff).

In 2022, I think we will be flying our cars to robotic game shops to pick up another Saltmarsh-style adventure anthology (Slavers? Desert of Desolation?), another TSR setting book, another MTG setting book, a big adventure, and it's anyone's guess on the other two books (Dark Sun?).

In 2023, they'll begin shifting toward a bit more experimental books and also low-stats books that will work well with any edition.

And in 2024, it'll be the Anniversary Edition. There will be re-releases of the PHB, MM and DMG with special cover treatments, additional art and incorporation of some of the racial and alternate class abilities from Tasha's into the main PHB, the monster gaps in the MM will be addressed and some of the weaker versions of the humanoid monsters replaced, etc. There will be hobby shop exclusives with deeeeeluxe covers. We'll also see Lost Mines of Phandelver released as a revised standalone book, possibly with inclusions from the Essentials Kit. There will be a new boxed set on-ramp for new players. There will be reprinted versions of core books and classic adventures from previous editions. And, for the Anniversary Edition/5E, there will be a big setting and adventure path to go with it. Fans will spend the year arguing whether the Anniversary Edition is 5E, 5.5E or 6E.

And in 2025, everyone will start wondering when 7E is coming and view everything that comes out of WotC as evidence that it's imminent.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads