• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What is positive?

Sure, I get that. I was asking specifically about the suggestion they'd go to the trouble of "twisting data or creating questions that will be psychologically favoring" for a mechanic they're determined to include. Why not simply leave that one element out of the playtests?

Because that does not fit into the narrative of "big bad evil company".

If you want to squeeze max amount of time developing before deadline it's not.
And I assume the print HAS to go out before holiday season in 2024.

It is dumb to change balance without testing. As a teacher I can say, what you completely redo 5 min before the end has an at least 50% chance of being worse than what you had before.

If they are clever, and this is what I assume is, that they already have a good sense of balance, mathematical formulas that work well enough and they just have to do fine tuning in the end.

The big things should be done by the end of next year. Which seems to allign with their timeline for the playtest.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Sure, I get that. I was asking specifically about the suggestion they'd go to the trouble of "twisting data or creating questions that will be psychologically favoring" for a mechanic they're determined to include. Why not simply leave that one element out of the playtests?
Plausible deniability.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Except the classes, species, subclasses, monsters, and some of the combat and skill rules. And who knows what they're going to do with the DMG.
Of which almost all mechanics will be exactly the same. Some of the top-level stuff might have different names or different organization... but the actual game will be the same.

Species will all get like 3 to 5 abilities, of which many will be the same as we already have. Combat will still be d20+STR or DEX+prof bonus versus AC. Spells will be DC 8 + ability mod + prof bonus. Saves are the same... damage is the same... the process of skill checks the same... the Classes we've seen have had most of the same abilities except the level acquired might be a little different on some. How and when you get Feats and ASIs are the same. Monster stat blocks will look virtually the same except for perhaps if they add a few more monster abilities to each block like other companies have done. Actions are virtually the same except some name changes and reorganization. Conditions mostly the same except for a few things from the game previous that are now being called "conditions". The equipment lists will have all the same stuff in it for the most part, the armors and weapons lists will look the same as we have except there might be some additional mechanics and features added to them.

Need I go on? I mean its no different than Level Up being considered the same game as 5E except for a lot of extra stuff layered across it. But the underlying system chugs along the exact same way. Same game... just looks a bit different on the surface.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Of which almost all mechanics will be exactly the same. Some of the top-level stuff might have different names or different organization... but the actual game will be the same.

Species will all get like 3 to 5 abilities, of which many will be the same as we already have. Combat will still be d20+STR or DEX+prof bonus versus AC. Spells will be DC 8 + ability mod + prof bonus. Saves are the same... damage is the same... the process of skill checks the same... the Classes we've seen have had most of the same abilities except the level acquired might be a little different on some. How and when you get Feats and ASIs are the same. Monster stat blocks will look virtually the same except for perhaps if they add a few more monster abilities to each block like other companies have done. Actions are virtually the same except some name changes and reorganization. Conditions mostly the same except for a few things from the game previous that are now being called "conditions". The equipment lists will have all the same stuff in it for the most part, the armors and weapons lists will look the same as we have except there might be some additional mechanics and features added to them.

Need I go on? I mean its no different than Level Up being considered the same game as 5E except for a lot of extra stuff layered across it. But the underlying system chugs along the exact same way. Same game... just looks a bit different on the surface.
Level Up is just as much a different edition than the 2024 game will be, albeit in very, very different ways.

The math of the game is  not the only thing that matters.

NotAYakk

Legend
How tall are you?

under 0.5 feet
under 1.0 feet
under 1.5 feet
under 2.0 feet
under 2.5 feet
under 3.0 feet
under 3.5 feet
under 4.0 feet
under 4.5 feet
under 10 feet

Now, this is a 10 choice multiple choice question. But most people will answer the same answer.

A bunch of "no, that doesn't describe me" options doesn't suddenly make them more popular. Any such effect is not that big, unless the answers are poorly labelled.

Remove ads