• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is Mage Knight?

Warlock

First Post
What is Mage Knight? I've heard people talking about it but they never actually said what it was (i was kind of eaves dropping too). So can anyone help?

Scarab

First Post
Have a look at MageKnight.com.

Basically, it's a simple and fast miniature wargame. The models come pre-painted (though quite poorly, since they're mass produced...), and stand on a small dial that you turn every time they take damage. When the dial displays skulls, the figure is dead.

MK is quite fun IMO, and way cheaper than spending $300 on a Warhammer/W40k army and spending some months painting it.

The downside (IMO) is that MK is a collectable game, meaning you get random figures when you buy booster packs and starters. There are army sets where you know what you get, though.

Some shops have started selling separate models so you can get exactly what you want.

edit: don't drink and type.

Last edited:

Tsyr

Explorer
It's like Warhammer or Chainmail meets Magic: The Gathering.

Basicly, it's a miniature wargame... The rules are fairly simple... but with a twist... rather than go out and buy huge armies, assemble, paint, etc... You buy packs of random, pre-painted plastic minis, much like how you buy random packs of magic cards, and then build and army from what you have.

Ds Da Man

First Post
Remember, the Mage Knight figures are on a very small scale. Of course, this means that it requires less room to have a good size battle on the table.

TeaBee

First Post
Can someone who is into MK tell me what the deal is with their Dungeons expansion? (I think it was called something like that)

Scarab

First Post
TeaBee said:
Can someone who is into MK tell me what the deal is with their Dungeons expansion? (I think it was called something like that)

Haven't read too much about it, but it seems to be something akin to old Hero Quest - you walk around in a dungeon with your hero, whacking monsters and looting treasure.

Hey, that sounds like D&D. :)

Glyfair

Explorer
TeaBee said:

Basically, it's a dungeon crawl/wargame. If you pick up Dungeon Builder's kits (which they expect you to do for the "normal" game, although it's not strictly necessary) the game runs as follows.

Each player picks a team of either 1 hero or 100 pts. of heros (depending on the variation, with the 2nd being preferred). In addition they each add at least 100 points of "monsters" to a dungeon pool.

Each player then places a certain number of dungeon tiles (very like the Geomorphic tiles with a bit of the Heroquest details) in turn to form the dungeon.

They each player places a certain number of treasure chests, maybe additional terrain features (doors are included in the Dungeon Builders kit), and tokens to represent wandering monsters. Each token has a "wandering monster chart" on the down side that's rolled on when it's revealed. It tells the opponent of the player who caused it to be revealed how many points of monsters, and how many monsters to place.

Then each player picks an entrance and exit to the dungeon.

The winner is the player who gets out of the dungeon with the most gold. Each player has so many activations each turn to move either a hero of his, or one of the monsters in the dungeon (with certain limitations, you can't do anything with monsters near your heros).

BTW, WizKids also has some Mage Knight figures that aren't random. Some dragons (which look very good and are only about $25 each) and a few tanks and such. I picked up the Dragons just to use in my D&D games.

Glyfair of Glamis

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads