• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What I'm playing these days - Angels vs. Demons

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
At the risk of this being the wrong place to put this, I'm going to share with you what I'm playing these days. My playing group and I have all moved, have kids, etc., and I really can't play D&D any more - I have too many other responsibilities on my plate, and I can't carve out a large enough window of time to have a proper go. So I have looked for other ways to scratch the RPG itch and I found something that I enjoy.

It's a free browser-based game, mostly text (I love that; call me oldschool but text lets me use my imagination just like I did in D&D - graphics don't let me do that), where the storyline (simplified) is Angels vs. Demons - you start as a callow mortal and as you gain experience, get to choose to become an angel or demon (or neither!). It's almost all Player-vs.-Player and as such what storylines there are become player-driven (you can go solo and it plays rather well, but to really impact the course of the storyline you probably have to be part of a group).

It's been awesome for me because I don't have to set a huge block of time aside - I can log on when I have a little free time, play, and then go back to what I'm doing (and I don't get too far behind the hardcore players because the game has a level cap that can be reached in about 3 months of casual play). But I bring it up here because the playerbase is stagnating (and slowly declining) - and with the storylines being player-driven (i.e., based on the actions of the players), that's a problem. So, I asked myself, "where can I find experienced, imaginative RPG players that are computer savvy" and the answer was obvious - ENWorld.

I'd love to invite people to swing by and give it a look - the game is called "NexusWar" and it's found at Nexus War - and I do worry this post sounds a bit like an advertisement - but I guarantee you, I get nothing out of you going there except having an increase of players (and, hopefully, stories). It'd be loads of fun to see an ENWorld influx there. I know I listen to ENWorlder recommendations on movies, games, etc. because they are a lot like me in terms of taste. I have found it enjoyable and as such, I throw this out here in the hopes some of you will find it fun, too. They have an active forum community and IRC community that is very good at helping new players get their bearings.

So, if this sounds like your cup of tea, please go give it a look... and while you're at it, please let me know what you're doing when you're not playing D&D - maybe I can find some more stuff I will enjoy. :) It's a worthy game and it costs you absolutely nothing other than a few minutes of your time to try.

Last edited:

It's a free browser-based game,
Have you tried Renaissance Kingdoms? It's a day-by-day life in the Renaissance game. Game year is 1400-something and time flows in real time. You log in for 5 minutes a day to say what you are up to (tend the fields and whatnot) and you are done. Or you can spend hours in character (and out) in the forums. The game is very slow paced but then, so was the renaissance. (Tell them Flynn sponsored you and I get a few reputation points, nothing important really.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads